Makes a complete archive of imageboard threads including images, HTML, and JSON. (Notice: This is a transitional package, please migrate to BASC-Archiver)
The BASC Archiver is a Python library (packaged with the thread-archiver script) used to archive imageboard threads. It uses the 4chan API with the py4chan wrapper. Developers are free to use the BASC-Archiver library for some interesting third-party applications, as it is licensed under the LGPLv3.
It comes with a CLI interface for archiving threads, the thread-archiver, with a GUI interface under development.
The thread-archiver is designed to archive all content from a 4chan thread:
- Download all images and/or thumbnails in given threads.
- (NEW!) Download all child threads (4chan threads referred to in a post)
- Download a JSON dump of thread comments using the 4chan API.
- Download the HTML page
- Convert links in HTML to use the downloaded images
- Download CSS/JS and convert HTML to use them
- Keep downloading until 404 (with a user-set delay)
- Can be restarted at any time
The thread-archiver replaces the typical “Right-click Save As, Web Page Complete” action, which does not save full-sized images or JSON. It works as a guerilla, static HTML alternative to Fuuka.
Usage: thread-archiver <url>... [options] thread-archiver -h | --help thread-archiver -v | --version Options: --path=<string> Path to folder where archives will be saved [default: ./archive] --runonce Downloads the thread as it is presently, then exits --delay=<float> Delay between file downloads [default: 0] --poll-delay=<float> Delay between thread checks [default: 20] --nothumbs Don't download thumbnails --thumbsonly Download thumbnails, no images --ssl Download using HTTPS --follow-children Follow threads linked in downloaded threads --follow-to-other-boards Follow linked threads, even if from other boards --silent Suppresses mundane printouts, prints what's important --verbose Printout more information than normal -h --help Show help -v --version Show version
thread-archiver http://boards.4chan.org/b/res/423861837 --delay 5 --thumbsonly
The BASC-Archiver works on both Python 2.x and 3.x, and can be installed on Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X.
Linux and OSX
- Make sure you have Python installed. Here’s a Mac OS X Installation Guide. Note that almost all Linux distros have Python preinstalled.
- Run easy_install basc-archiver
- Linux users must run this command as root, or prefix the command with sudo.
- Run thread-archiver http://boards.4chan.org/etc/thread/12345
Threads will be saved in ./archive, but you can change that by supplying a directory with the --path= argument.
- Download the latest release from our page.
- Open up a command prompt window (cmd.exe), and move to the directory with thread-archiver.exe
- Run thread-archiver.exe http://boards.4chan.org/etc/thread/12345
Using the Windows version will become simpler once we finish writing the GUI.
Bibliotheca Anonoma Imageboard Thread Archiver (BASC Archiver)
Copyright (C) 2014 Lawrence Wu, Daniel Oaks. Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License v3.