A command line tool to aid in the development of banner ad campaigns. Auto generates PSDs at the required sizes with specified filenames to get you started, then when done designing, exports static banners at or under max file sizes specified. All managed via a very simple manifest file.
Banner ad development is, at its core, a very repetitive task. You constantly do the same thing over and over. This toolkit aims to ease a bit of that repetitive work and while the tasks it does are relatively small, the speed and ease at which you can do them ends up saving you precious time.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Need a quick way to create all the PSDs you’ll need? No problem! One simple command will generate all the PSDs you need at the proper dimensions with the proper file names.
- Made sweeping changes to your campaign PSDs? No problem! One simple command will export all your static files while ensuring they are no larger than a specified size. No more manually running Save for Web on each of them.
- Need a simple way for your client to review your ads? No problem! One simple command will upload them all to your server and provide you the links to copy and paste into an email.
- Not a command line geek? No problem! Create a simple config file and don’t ever add a parameter to any of the available commands. I got you covered.
The workflow described below is one developed over many years of doing banner ad design and devleopment. While it may seem additional work at first, I promise you will find that doing each and every campaign in this way will greatly speed up your workflow. Now on to the good stuff…
nasm - download latest tar.gz source code
mozjpeg - download latest tar.gz source code
./cjpeg -quality 60 -quant-table 2 -sample 1x1 -outfile ../crushed.jpg ../backup.jpg
NOTE: Image Optimization only works on a Mac at this time.
Install nasm and mozjpeg from source (optional)
- Run ./configure && make in the unzipped source directory
- Hope you don’t get a million compilation errors.
- If it succeeds, you’ll be able to run ./cjpeg in this directory
- You can run sudo make install if you want cjpeg installed system-wide.
You can install directly via pip:
pip install Banner-Ad-Toolkit
Or from the BitBucket repository (master branch by default):
git clone https://bitbucket.org/tsantor/banner-ad-toolkit cd banner-ad-toolkit sudo python setup.py install
File Structure (Optional)
While not required, using the following project structure is recommended as the command line defaults follow this convention which ends up making the commands require less input from the user.
PROJECT ├── HTML5 │ ├── Prefix_160x600_Suffix │ ├── Prefix_300x250_Suffix │ ├── Prefix_300x600_Suffix │ └── Prefix_728x90_Suffix ├── PSD └── adkit.ini
NOTE: When running any adkit command, ensure you run it from the root of your project folder where the adkit.ini resides (see recommended File Structure above)
To quickly get up and running by generating a adkit.ini which allows us to configure how adkit runs.
adkit-quickstart NOTE: You will still need to edit the generated file, this just helps save some typing.
Once you save out all your image assets for your HTML5 ads, get a jump start on CSS creation. Simply run the following command:
NOTE: For all available commands, run adkit-css -h.
If you want to optimize all images used in your ads, simply run the following command:
NOTE: For all available commands, run adkit-optimize -h
Upload HTML5 Ads
If you want to upload all HTML5 ads to your server for client preview, simply run the following command:
NOTE: For all available commands, run adkit-upload -h
Package Ad Zips
If you want to package each HTML5 ad as a zip, simply run the following command:
NOTE: For all available commands, run adkit-zip -h
If you experience any issues, please create an issue on Bitbucket.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size Banner_Ad_Toolkit-0.3.0-py2.7.egg (25.4 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.7||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size Banner_Ad_Toolkit-0.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (29.5 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version 2.7||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size Banner-Ad-Toolkit-0.3.0.tar.gz (21.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for Banner_Ad_Toolkit-0.3.0-py2.7.egg
Hashes for Banner_Ad_Toolkit-0.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl