Text-based requirements management using version control.
Doorstop is a tool to manage the storage of textual requirements alongside source code in version control.
Each requirement item is stored as a YAML file in a designated directory. The items in each designated directory form a document. Document items can be linked to one another to form a document hierarchy. Doorstop provides mechanisms for modifying this hierarchy, checking the tree for consistency, and publishing documents in several formats.
0.0.x releases are experimental and interfaces will likely change.
- Python 3.3
- Git or Veracity (for requirements storage)
Doorstop can be installed with pip:
$ pip install Doorstop
After installation, Doorstop is available on the command-line:
$ doorstop --help
And the package is available under the name doorstop:
$ python >>> import doorstop >>> doorstop.__version__
After configuring version control, a new parent document can be created:
$ doorstop new REQ ./reqs created document: REQ (@/reqs)
Items can be added to the document and edited:
$ doorstop add REQ added item: REQ001 (@/reqs/REQ001.yml) $ doorstop edit REQ1 opened item: REQ001 (@/reqs/REQ001.yml)
Additional documents can be created that link to other documents:
$ doorstop new TST ./reqs/tests --parent REQ created document: TST (@/reqs/tests)
Items can be added and linked to parent items:
$ doorstop add TST added item: TST001 (@/reqs/tests/TST001.yml) $ doorstop link TST1 REQ1 linked item: TST001 (@/reqs/tests/TST001.yml) -> REQ001 (@/reqs/REQ001.yml)
To check a document hierarchy for consistency, run the main command:
$ doorstop valid tree: REQ <- [ TST ]
A text report of a document can be displayed:
$ doorstop publish TST 1 TST001 Verify the foobar will foo and bar. Links: REQ001
Other formats are also supported:
$ doorstop publish TST --html <!DOCTYPE html> ... <body> <h1>1 (TST001)</h1> <p>Verify the foobar will foo and bar.</p> <p><em>Links: REQ001</em></p> </body> </html>
Or a file can be created using one of the supported extensions:
$ doorstop publish TST path/to/tst.md publishing TST to path/to/tst.md...
- Text: .txt
- Markdown: .md
- HTML: .html
- Fixed CSS bullets indent
- Added caching of Items in the Document class
- Added Document.remove() to delete an item by its ID
- Item.find_rlinks() will now search the entire tree for links
- Added Item.find_rlinks() to return reverse links and child documents
- Changed the logging format
- Added a ‘–project’ argument to provide a path to the root of the project
- Fixed a mutable default argument bug in Item creation
- Added Tree/Document/Item.iter_issues() method to yield all issues
- Tree/Document/Item.check() now logs all issues rather than failing fast
- Renamed Tree/Document/Item.check() to valid()
- Added Document.sep to separate prefix and item numbers.
- Fixed missing package data.
- Added Item.active property to disable certain items.
- Added Item.dervied property to disable link checking on certain items.
- Switched to embedded CSS in generated HTML.
- Shorted default Item and Document string formatting.
- Added top-down link checking.
- Non-normative items with a zero-ended level are now headings.
- Added a CSS for generated HTML.
- The ‘publish’ command now accepts an output file path.
- Searching for ‘ref’ will now also find filenames.
- Item files can now contain arbitrary fields.
- Document prefixes can now contain numbers, dashes, and periods.
- Added a ‘normative’ attribute to the Item class.
- Always showing ‘ref’ in items.
- Reloading item attributes after a save.
- Inserting lines breaks after sentences in item ‘text’.
- Added basic report creation via ‘doorstop publish’.
- Added item link and reference validation.
- Added cached of loaded items.
- Added preliminary VCS support for Git and Veracity.
- Implemented ‘add’, ‘remove’, ‘link’, and ‘unlink’ commands.
- Added basic tree validation.
- Added the initial Document class.
- Items can now be ordered by ‘level’ in a Document.
- Initial tutorial created.
- Changed ‘doorstop init’ to ‘doorstop new’.
- Added the initial Item class.
- Added stubs for the Document class.
- Initial release of Doorstop.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|Doorstop-0.0.18-py33-none-any.whl (129.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||3.3||Feb 12, 2014|
|Doorstop-0.0.18.zip (63.7 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Feb 12, 2014|