Kotti is a high-level, 'Pythonic' web application framework. It includes a small and extensible CMS application called the Kotti CMS.
Kotti is most useful when you are developing applications that
- have complex security requirements,
- use workflows, and/or
- work with hierarchical data.
Built on top of a number of best-of-breed software components, most notably Pyramid and SQLAlchemy, Kotti introduces only a few concepts of its own, thus hopefully keeping the learning curve flat for the developer.
You can try out the built-in CMS on Kotti’s demo page.
The Kotti CMS is a content management system that’s heavily inspired by Plone. Its main features are:
- User-friendliness: editors can edit content where it appears; thus the edit interface is contextual and intuitive
- WYSIWYG editor: includes a rich text editor
- Responsive design: Kotti builds on Twitter Bootstrap, which looks good both on desktop and mobile
- Templating: you can extend the CMS with your own look & feel with almost no programming required
- Add-ons: install a variety of add-ons and customize them as well as many aspects of the built-in CMS by use of an INI configuration file
- Security: the advanced user and permissions management is intuitive and scales to fit the requirements of large organizations
- Internationalized: the user interface is fully translatable, Unicode is used everywhere to store data
Support and Documentation
Kotti is offered under the BSD-derived Repoze Public License.
Kotti was created by Daniel Nouri. Thanks to the following people for support, code, patches etc:
0.6.2 - 2012-04-21
- Links in Navigation view lead to node view. Added edit links to view the node’s edit form.
- Hitting ‘Cancel’ now returns to the context node for add/edit views
0.6.1 - 2012-03-30
- Added button to show/hide nodes from navigation in the order screen.
- The ‘rename’ action now strips slashes out of names. Fixes #53.
- Add Dutch translation.
- Allow translation of TinyMCE’s UI (starting with deform 0.9.5)
- Separated out testing dependencies. Run bin/python setup.py dev to install Kotti with extra dependencies for testing.
- Deprecate ‘kotti.includes’ setting. Use the standard ‘pyramid.includes’ instead.
- Setting ‘Node.__acl__’ to the empty list will now persist the empty list instead of setting ‘None’.
- Let ‘pyramid_deform’ take care of configuring deform with translation dirs and search paths.
0.6.0 - 2012-03-22
- Add Japanese translation.
- Enforce lowercase user names and email with registration and login.
- Moved SQLAlchemy related stuff from kotti.util into kotti.sqla.
- You can also append to ‘Node.__acl__’ now in addition to setting the attribute.
0.6.0b3 - 2012-03-17
- Have the automatic __tablename__ and polymorphic_identity for CamelCase class names use underscores, so a class ‘MyFancyDocument’ gets a table name of ‘my_fancy_documents’ and a type of ‘my_fancy_document’.
0.6.0b2 - 2012-03-16
- Make the ‘item_type’ attribute of AddForm optional. Fixes #41.
- kotti.util.title_to_name will now return a name with a maximum length of 40. Fixes #31.
0.6.0b1 - 2012-03-15
Use declarative style instead of class mapper for SQLAlchemy resources.
Unfortunately, this change is backwards incompatible with existing content types (not with existing databases however). Updating your types to use Declarative is simple. See kotti_calendar for an example: https://github.com/dnouri/kotti_calendar/commit/509d46bd596ff338e0a88f481339882de72e49e0#diff-1
0.5.2 - 2012-03-10
- A new ‘Actions’ menu makes copy, paste, delete and rename of items more accessible.
- Add German translation.
- Populators no longer need to call transaction.commit() themselves.
0.5.1 - 2012-02-27
- Internationalize user interface. Add Portuguese as the first translation.
- A new ‘Add’ menu in the editor toolbar allows for a more intuitive adding of items in the CMS.
- Refine Node.copy. No longer copy over local roles per default.
0.5.0 - 2012-02-15
- Move Kotti’s default user interface to use Twitter Bootstrap 2.
- Add a new ‘File’ content type.
- Add CSRF protection to some forms.
- Remove Kotti’s FormController in favor of using pyramid_deform.
- Use plone.i18n to normalize titles to URL parts.
- Add a separate navigation screen that replaces the former intelligent breadcrumbs menu.
- Use pyramid_beaker as the default session factory.
- Make kotti.messages.send_set_password a bit more flexible.
0.4.5 - 2012-01-19
Add ‘kotti.security.has_permission’ which may be used instead of ‘pyramid.security.has_permission’.
The difference is that Kotti’s version will set the “authorization context” to be the context that you pass to ‘has_permission’. The effect is that ‘list_groups’ will return a more correct list of local roles, i.e. the groups in the given context instead of ‘request.context’.
Add a template (‘forbidden.pt’) for when user is logged in but still getting HTTPForbidden.
0.4.4 - 2012-01-05
- The “Forbidden View” will no longer redirect clients that don’t accept ‘text/html’ to the login form.
- Fix bug with ‘kotti.site_title’ setting.
0.4.3 - 2011-12-22
- Add ‘kotti.root_factory’ setting which allows the override Kotti’s default Pyramid root factory. Also, make master templates more robust so that a minimal root with ‘__parent__’ and ‘__name__’ can be rendered.
- The ‘kotti.tests’ was factored out. Tests should now import from ‘kotti.testing’.
0.4.2 - 2011-12-20
- More convenient overrides for add-on packages by better use of ‘config.commit()’.
0.4.1 - 2011-12-20
- Modularize Kotti’s Paste App Factory ‘kotti.main’.
- Allow explicit setting of tables that Kotti creates (‘kotti.use_tables’).
0.4.0 - 2011-12-14
- Remove configuration variables ‘kotti.templates.*’ in favour of ‘kotti.asset_overrides’, which uses Pyramid asset specs and their overrides.
- Remove ‘TemplateAPI.__getitem__’ and instead add ‘TemplateAPI.macro’ which has a similar but less ‘special’ API.
- Factor snippets in ‘kotti/templates/snippets.pt’ out into their own templates. Use ‘api.render_template’ to render them instead of macros.
0.3.1 - 2011-12-09
- Add ‘keys’ method to mutation dicts (see 0.3.0).
0.3.0 - 2011-11-30
Replace Node.__annotations__ in favor of an extended Node.annotations.
Node.annotations will attempt to not only recognize changes to subobjects of type dict, it will also handle list objects transparently. That is, changing arbitrary JSON structures should just work with regard to calling node.annotations.changed() when the structure was changed.
0.2.10 - 2011-11-22
- ‘api.format_datetime’ now also accepts a timestamp in addition to datetime.
0.2.9 - 2011-11-21
- Remove MANIFEST.in in favour of using ‘setuptools-git’.
0.2.8 - 2011-11-21
- Remove ‘PasteScript’ dependency since that would result in spurious errors when installing Kotti. See http://jenkins.danielnouri.org/job/Kotti/42/TOXENV=py27/console
0.2.7 - 2011-11-20
- Add ‘PasteScript’ dependency.
- Fix #11 where ‘python setup.py test’ would look into a hard-coded ‘bin’ directory.
- Structural analysis documentation. (Unfinished; in ‘analysis’ directory during development. Will be moved to main docs when finished.)
0.2.6 - 2011-11-17
Add Node.__annotations__ convenience attribute.
Node.__annotations__ will wrap the annotations dict in such a way that both item and attribute access are possible. It’ll also record changes to dicts inside dicts and mark the parent __annotations__ attribute as dirty.
Add a welcome page.
Delete the demo added in version 0.2.4.
0.2.5 - 2011-11-14
- Add ‘TemplateAPI.render_template’; allow templates to be rendered conveniently from templates.
0.2.4 - 2011-11-13
- Adjust for Pyramid 1.2: INI file, pyramid_tm, Wsgiref server, pcreate and pserve. (MO)
- Add Kotti Demo source and documentation.
0.2.3 - 2011-10-28
Node.__getitem__ will now also accept a tuple as key.
folder['1', '2'] is the same as folder['1']['2'], just more efficient.
Added a new cache decorator based on repoze.lru.
0.2.2 - 2011-10-10
- Change the function signature of kotti.authn_policy_factory, kotti.authz_policy_factory and kotti.session_factory to include all settings from the configuration file.
0.2.1 - 2011-09-29
- Minor changes to events setup code to ease usage in tests.
0.2 - 2011-09-16
- No changes.
0.2a2 - 2011-09-05
- Fix templates to be compatible with Chameleon 2. Also, require Chameleon>=2.
- Require pyramid>=1.2. Also, enable pyramid_debugtoolbar for development.ini profile.
0.2a1 - 2011-08-29
Improve database schema for Nodes. Split Node class into Node and Content.
This change is backward incompatible in that existing content types in your code will need to subclass Content instead of Node. The example in the docs has been updated. Also, the underlying database schema has changed.
Improve user database hashing and local roles storage.
Compatibility fix for Pyramid 1.2.