A modular, fast, simple, static website generator
In goes content, out comes a website, ready to deploy.
Why Static Websites?
Static websites are safer, use fewer resources, and avoid vendor and platform lock-in. You can read more about this in the Nikola Handbook
What Can Nikola Do?
It has many features, but here are some of the nicer ones:
- Blogs, with tags, feeds, archives, comments, etc.
- Fast builds, thanks to doit
- Flexible, extensible via plugins
- Small codebase (programmers can understand all of Nikola core in a day)
- reStructuredText or Markdown as input language (also Wiki, BBCode, Textile, and HTML)
- Easy image galleries (just drop files in a folder!)
- Syntax highlighting for almost any programming language or markup
- Multilingual sites, translated to 18 languages.
- Doesn’t reinvent wheels, leverages existing tools.
- Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 compatible.
Assuming you have pip installed:
pip install Nikola
For optional features:
pip install Nikola[extras]
For tests (see tests/README.rst for more details):
pip install Nikola[extras,tests]
For more information, see http://getnikola.com/