Broadcast audio over IP codec built with PyGST
There is a mailing list available for OpenOB users to share experiences and discuss future development.
OpenOB (Open Outside Broadcast) is a simple Python/GStreamer based application which implements a highly configurable RTP-based audio link system.
It is primarily designed for broadcast applications including (but not limited to) contribution links, emission links, talkback, and intranet audio distribution systems.
- IETF standard Opus codec - variable bandwidth and bitrate, 16-384kbps
- Linear PCM mode for transparent audio transit over 1600kbps capable connections (LANs, fast wifi)
- Trivial configuration and setup via command line
- Transmitter-configured receivers for standalone receiver operation and control
- Low latency performance (codec internal latency under 5ms PCM, under 25ms Opus) with variable jitter buffer (0-150ms)
- System latency in low hundreds to tens of milliseconds for most applications; more over the internet/lossy links
- Automatic link recovery in the event of failures
Licensing and Credits
OpenOB was developed by James Harrison, with chunks of example code used from Alexandre Bourget and various other GStreamer documentation sites such as the PyGST manual.
Copyright (c) 2018, James Harrison
License is 3-clause BSD:
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the OpenOB project nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMES HARRISON OR OTHER OPENOB CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.