A framework for playing the Diplomacy board game over a network.
The Parlance server differs from the official DAIDE server in that it can serve multiple games (consecutively or concurrently), is more configurable, can be managed remotely through admin commands, and accepts a slightly broader message syntax.
Parlance also includes a framework for clients, along with a simple bot to replace an absent player. This framework has also been used by the clients of the Parang package.
Parlance may be used, modified, and/or redistributed under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0, as published by the Perl Foundation.
Parlance installs the following commands:
- Starts a game server
- Starts one or more HoldBots
- Prints out an example configuration file
- Connects to a server, translating network messages to and from DAIDE message syntax on standard input and output.
- Listens for clients, translating network messages to and from DAIDE message syntax on standard input and output.
Parlance can be installed with Easy Install from a command prompt:
> easy_install parlance
Alternatively, once you have downloaded and unpacked a source distribution, you can install it with:
> python setup.py install
- Daniel Loeb started the Diplomacy Programming Project in 1990, developing a language for communication between computer players and a GM.
- Andrew Rose developed the network protocol used to connect clients to the server, and wrote a DLL implementation of it.
- David Norman extended the DPP communication language into the DAIDE message syntax, translated several variant maps into it, and wrote the first full-featured server, bot, and graphical player interface to use the DAIDE protocols.
- Eric Wald wrote the first versions of Parlance to extend the DAIDE environment to non-Windows platforms, particularly Linux.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size Parlance-1.4.1-py2.5.egg (293.2 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.5||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size Parlance-1.4.1.tar.gz (137.3 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|