A utility for handing syncing of remote and local data resources. Developed for use in CheckM but hopefully generic enough to be used elsewhere.
Should be as simple as
pip install ScreamingBackpack
## Example usage
The utility works by placing a small file (manifest file) in the data directory that describes the file names, their locations and if possible their hashes (sha256). This file is downloaded during diff and update functions and is used to determine what other file operations (downloads / deletions) should occur.
The format of the manifest file is very simple. The first line is a header which describes the manifest type and some other info;
##<TYPE>## Data manifest created by ScreamingBackpack version <VERSION>
where: <TYPE> is user specified and <VERSION> is the version of SBP that created the file
Each line below the header describes a file or folder which is under management. File lines look like this:
3 d37b38c8411e250f55393442db47eed954354898fa958c93047d7a66956880cb 5000
I.e. A three column file in the format “local_path sha256_hash size_in_bytes”
Folder lines look like this:
9 - 0
I.e. a file line with no size or hash.
The binary screamingBackpack can be run in three modes:
create - create a new manifest file diff - work out the difference between two manifests and print out the results update - update the local data repo tp reflect any changes made at the remote source
The bin file very simply wraps these functions which are available by importing like this
from screamingBackpack.manifestManager import ManifestManager
MM = ManifestManager(manType=”<TYPE>”)
- MM.createManifest(pathToManifest, # path to the root folder of the data to be managed
- manifestName=None) # specify a custom name for the manifest file (default = .dmanifest)
- MM.diffManifests(localManifestLocation, # path to local data repo
- sourceManifestLocation, # path to source or fully qualified remote url localManifestName=None, sourceManifestName=None, printDiffs=True) # Print to stdout and exit
- sourceManifestLocation, localManifestName=None, sourceManifestName=None, prompt=True) # prompt user before making changes
If you experience any problems using ScreamingBackpack, open an [issue](https://github.com/minillinim/ScreamingBackpack/issues) on GitHub and tell us about it.
## Licence and referencing
Project home page, info on the source tree, documentation, issues and how to contribute, see http://github.com/minillinim/ScreamingBackpack
This software is currently unpublished
Copyright (c) 2014 Michael Imelfort. See LICENSE.txt for further details.