Send file to trash natively under Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Send2Trash is a small package that sends files to the Trash (or Recycle Bin) natively and on all platforms. On OS X, it uses native FSMoveObjectToTrashSync Cocoa calls, on Windows, it uses native (and ugly) SHFileOperation win32 calls. On other platforms, if PyGObject and GIO are available, it will use this. Otherwise, it will fallback to its own implementation of the trash specifications from freedesktop.org.
ctypes is used to access native libraries, so no compilation is necessary.
Send2Trash supports Python 2.7 and up (Python 3 is supported).
You can download it with pip:
pip install Send2Trash
or you can download the source from http://github.com/hsoft/send2trash and install it with:
>>> python setup.py install
>>> from send2trash import send2trash >>> send2trash('some_file')
On Freedesktop platforms (Linux, BSD, etc.), you may not be able to efficiently trash some files. In these cases, an exception send2trash.TrashPermissionError is raised, so that the application can handle this case. This inherits from PermissionError (OSError on Python 2). Specifically, this affects files on a different device to the user’s home directory, where the root of the device does not have a .Trash directory, and we don’t have permission to create a .Trash-$UID directory.
For any other problem, OSError is raised.
Version 1.5.0 – 2018/02/16
- More specific error when failing to create XDG fallback trash directory (#20)
- Windows: Workaround for long paths (#23)
Version 1.4.2 – 2017/11/17
- Fix incompatibility with Python 3.6 on Windows. (#18)
Version 1.4.1 – 2017/08/07
- Fix crash on Windows introduced in v1.4.0. Oops… (#14)
Version 1.4.0 – 2017/08/07
- Use bytes instead of str for internal path handling in plat_other. (#13)
Version 1.3.1 – 2017/07/31
- Throw WindowsError instead of OSError in plat_win. (#7)
- Fix TypeError on python 2 in plat_other. (#12)
Version 1.3.0 – 2013/07/19
- Added support for Gnome’s GIO.
- Merged Python 3 and Python 2 versions in a single codebase.
Version 1.2.0 – 2011/03/16
- Improved plat_other to follow freedesktop.org trash specification.
Version 1.1.0 – 2010/10/18
- Converted compiled modules to ctypes so that cross-platform compilation isn’t necessary anymore.
Version 1.0.2 – 2010/07/10
- Fixed bugs with external volumes in plat_other.
Version 1.0.1 – 2010/04/19
- Fixed memory leak in OS X module.
Version 1.0.0 – 2010/04/07
- Initial Release
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size Send2Trash-1.5.0-py3-none-any.whl (12.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version 3.5||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size Send2Trash-1.5.0.tar.gz (10.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for Send2Trash-1.5.0-py3-none-any.whl