Python documentation generator
Sphinx is a tool that makes it easy to create intelligent and beautiful documentation for Python projects (or other documents consisting of multiple reStructuredText sources), written by Georg Brandl. It was originally created to translate the new Python documentation, but has now been cleaned up in the hope that it will be useful to many other projects.
Sphinx uses reStructuredText as its markup language, and many of its strengths come from the power and straightforwardness of reStructuredText and its parsing and translating suite, the Docutils.
Although it is still under constant development, the following features are already present, work fine and can be seen “in action” in the Python docs:
- Output formats: HTML (including Windows HTML Help), plain text and LaTeX, for printable PDF versions
- Extensive cross-references: semantic markup and automatic links for functions, classes, glossary terms and similar pieces of information
- Hierarchical structure: easy definition of a document tree, with automatic links to siblings, parents and children
- Automatic indices: general index as well as a module index
- Code handling: automatic highlighting using the Pygments highlighter
- Various extensions are available, e.g. for automatic testing of snippets and inclusion of appropriately formatted docstrings.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size Sphinx-0.5.2b1-py2.4.egg (460.5 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.4||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size Sphinx-0.5.2b1-py2.5.egg (455.7 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.5||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size Sphinx-0.5.2b1-py2.6.egg (455.4 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.6||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size Sphinx-0.5.2b1.tar.gz (730.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|