A Python Wrapper for [SurveyGizmo](https://apihelp.surveygizmo.com/help)'s mostly restful API service.
- python 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, or 3.5
$ pip install SurveyGizmo
Start by instantiating the SurveyGizmo object and providing some configuration parameters. Options can also be set through the `config` property.
from surveygizmo import SurveyGizmo
client = SurveyGizmo(
# example token from SurveyGizmo docs
api_token = "E4F796932C2743FEBF150B421BE15EB9"
api_token_secret = "A9fGMkJ5pJF1k"
# Update client options through the config property.
client.config.api_token = "E4F796932C2743FEBF150B421BE15EB9"
client.config.api_token_secret = "A9fGMkJ5pJF1k"
Calls to the api are by object type then by function. For example,
client.api.survey.copy('39501', 'New title boop')
Most resources have the list, get, create, update, copy, and delete actions. If SurveyGizmo's REST API does not implement an action, the client will raise a `NotImplementedError`.
Token based authentication is the only currently supported authentication method. `user:pass` and `user:md5` were [deprecated](https://community.surveygizmo.com/questions/question/final-notice-surveygizmo-api-authentication-changes/) on May 31, 2016. Oauth support is not currently a goal, but pull requests are welcome.
client.config.api_token = 'E4F796932C2743FEBF150B421BE15EB9'
client.config.api_token_secret = 'A9fGMkJ5pJF1k'
## API Filtering
SurveyGizmo's API supports filtering for `list` calls on surveys, survey campaigns, and survey responses. For more information, reference the SurveyGizmo [filter documentation](https://apihelp.surveygizmo.com/help/article/link/filters).
The filtering implementation contains no real magic and is simply a convenience wrapper around the awkward filtering semantics. There is no enforcement of which resources can perform filtering or what types of properties are being filtered for a resource.
To filter, simply
filtered = client.api.surveyresponse.filter('datesubmitted', '<=', '2013-07-01')
Filtering is also chainable.
client.api.survey.filter('createdon', '<=', '2013-04-01').list()
.filter('datesubmitted', '<=', '2013-07-01') \
.filter('datesubmitted', '>', '2013-06-01') \
## Config paramaters
* **api_version** - 'v3', 'v4', 'head'. Defaults to 'head'
* **response_type** - `None`, `'json'`, `'pson'`, `'xml'`, `'debug'`. By default (using `None`), the API returns a JSON response which is parsed by the client into a python dictionary. Specifying a `response_type` will return an unparsed body of the specified format.
* **requests_kwargs** - Additional arguments passed to `requests.get`. Useful for setting timeouts and otherwise configuring the requests library.
* **prepare_url** - Force the client to return the url after being prepared instead of executing the api call. This is useful in cases where you need to call the api asynchronously. Defaults to 'False'
* **handler52x** - Handler for CloudFlare's 52x errors. Expects a callable (e.g., `surveygizmo.default_52xhandler`). Defaults to 'None'.
## CloudFlare 52x Errors
After SurveyGizmo's move to CloudFlare, it isn't uncommon to see connectivity issues where the service is temporarily unreachable. These errors exist on the 52x range of HTTP status codes. To automatically handle 52x errors, set a callable for `config.handler52x`. A basic handler is provided under `surveygizmo.default_52xhandler`, which simply retries the request every second until a non-52x response is returned.
## API Resources
- #17 Added basic pagination support. Thanks @WesleyBatista!
- Added `_prepare_url` argument to API calls that overrides the configured setting for `prepare_url`.
- Reimplmented API import as metaclass.
- Reimplemented filtering, removed race condition.
- Added required parameters various API calls (mostly create).
1.0.0 is a reimplementation of the entire API. Tests have been added and the package is basically stable.
- Replace all authentication methods with only token based authentication.
- Rewrite API to use class inheritance instead of module function wrapping.
- Remove `preserve_filters` option.
- Rename `add_filter` to just `filter`. Filters are chainable.
0.2.0 is a forwards incompatible release, but only minorly so.
Forwards incompatible changes:
- Renamed the 'change' operations to 'update'. This is consistent with SurveyGizmo's API naming.
- Removed the 'keep' kwarg for preserving filters bettween api funcion calls. This is now configured with 'preserve_filters'. Filters are now cleared manually with `api.clear_filters()`
- Removed the undocumented 'url_fetch' kwarg, which prevented api execution and instead returned the prepared url.
Backwards incompatible changes:
- Modified 'api_version' to no longer has any effect on the client. SurveyGizmo provides no way to meaningfully differentiate between API versions, so this checking was unneeded and created code duplication
- Added 'prepare_url' as a replacement for 'url_fetch'. This forces the client to return the url after being prepared instead of executing the api call. This is useful in cases where you need to call the api asynchronously.
- Added 'requests_kwargs'. These are additional arguments passed to `requests.get`. Useful for setting timeouts and otherwise configuring the requests library.
- Added handling for CloudFlare 52x errors
## Copyright & License
Copyright © 2013-2016 NC State University. See LICENSE for details.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.