Create and modify application, file and URI starters.
What is Arronax?
Arronax is a program to create and modify starters (technically: .desktop files) for applications and locations (URLs).
Arronax can be used as a standalone application or as a plugin for Nautilus, the default file manager of the Gnome and Unity desktop environments.
Arronax as Nautilus extension
As Nautilus plugin Arronax adds a menu item “Create starter for this file” or “Create a starter for this program” to the context menu (that’s the menu you get when you right-click a file in the file manager). If the file is a application starter you get an item “Modify this starter” instead.
If you have icons on your desktop enabled Arronax adds a menu item “Create starter” to your desktop’s context menu.
Arronax as standalone application
Arronax as standalone application can be started just like any other application using the application menu or application search function of your desktop environment.
Drag & Drop
Arronax supports Drag&Drop:
- You can drag an icon for example from the Unity Dash or the Gnome Classic application menu and drop it on an open Arronax window. Don’t drop it on one of the input fields in the Arronax window but on the free space beneath the icon.
- You can drag files from the file manager and other applications and drop them on the input area in the “MIME types” tab to add the corresponding MIME types to the list. This will add every MIME type only once, even if you add multiple files with the same MIME type.
- You can drag image files from the file manager or other applications and drop them on the icon selector at the left of the Arronax window to use that image as icon for the starter. It is up to you tom take care that the image has the right size.
- You can drag a file or folder from the file manager or a URL from your web browser and drop it on the “Command”, “Start in Folder” or “File or URL” input area to use the corresponding file path.
As far as I know there aren’t any serious bugs in Arronax.
If you find a bug in Arronax please report it at the bugtracker at Launchpad so that I can fix it. Thank you.
Arronax is beeing developed and tested on Ubuntu 12.04.3 “Precise Pangolin” and Ubuntu 14.04 “Trusty Tahr”.
- Gnome 3.4 or later
- Python 2.7
- Nautilus-Python 1.1 or later
If you install the .deb package this packages will be automatically installed if needed.
Enable icons on your desktop
With Gnome Nautilus is by default configured not to show icons on your desktop. You can change that by opening a Terminal, type:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
Where can you get it?
Arronax is available from
You can use Arronax under the conditions of GPL v3 or later.
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/