Asterisk PBX configuration syntax checker
.. image:: https://bettercodehub.com/edge/badge/ossobv/asterisklint
Asterisklint is a suite of tools to check syntax of your Asterisk PBX
Alright, enough talking. Some examples please.
.. code-block:: console
usage: asterisklint [-h] COMMAND
asterisklint: error: the following arguments are required: COMMAND
$ asterisklint ls
ls List available commands.
dialplan-check Do sanity checks on dialplan. Takes 'extensions.conf'
as argument. Suppress error classes using ALINT_IGNORE.
dialplan-show Show dialplan like Asterisk does with CLI command
"dialplan show". Takes 'extensions.conf' as argument.
func_odbc-check Do sanity checks on func_odbc.conf. Takes
'func_odbc.conf' as argument. Suppress error classes
ident-scan Report similarly named contexts, labels and variables.
Takes 'extensions.conf' as argument. All parse errors
modules-show Show which modules, apps and functions are used by the
dialplan. Takes 'extensions.conf' as argument.
Place custom commands in ~/.asterisklint/asterisklint/commands.
Take this little dialplan snippet, that we'll call ``extensions.conf``::
exten => _8[2-9]x,1,NoOp
same => n,GoSub(somewhere,s,1(argument1,argument2)
same => n,Payback(audiofile)
Now run the ``dialplan-check`` command on it:
.. code-block:: console
$ ALINT_IGNORE=H_DP_ asterisklint dialplan-check extensions.conf
extensions.conf:2 H_PAT_NON_CANONICAL: pattern '_8[2-9]x' is not in the canonical form '_8NX'
extensions.conf:3 W_APP_BAD_CASE: app 'GoSub' does not have the proper Case 'Gosub'
extensions.conf:3 W_APP_BALANCE: app data '1(argument1,argument2' looks like unbalanced parentheses/quotes/curlies
extensions.conf:4 E_APP_MISSING: app 'Payback' does not exist, dialplan will halt here!
extensions.conf:3 E_DP_GOTO_NOCONTEXT: context not found for goto to somewhere, s, 1
It had a lot to complain about that little snippet. But it was right. We
even suppressed two hints about a missing ``[general]`` and ``[global]``
context using ``ALINT_IGNORE``.
Not everything it checks is documented, and it does not check everything
that we like yet. But it's a start. Bug reports are welcome. Feature requests
prefer to be accompanied by a patch :-)
Try out ``modules-show`` if you use ``autoload=no`` in your ``modules.conf``.
All commands show help if asked:
.. code-block:: console
$ asterisklint modules-show --help
usage: asterisklint modules-show [-h] [--func-odbc FUNC_ODBC_CONF]
Show which modules, apps and functions are used by the dialplan. Useful when
you use autoload=no in your modules.conf. Beware that you do need more modules
than just these listed.
EXTENSIONS_CONF path to extensions.conf
-h, --help show this help message and exit
path to func_odbc.conf, will be read automatically if
found in same the same dir as extensions.conf; set
empty to disable
Installation is a matter of ``python3 setup.py install``. Or, for more convenience,
install a PyPI uploaded version through ``pip3(1)``:
.. code-block:: console
$ sudo pip3 install asterisklint
Successfully installed asterisklint
The ``dialplan-check`` comes in handy as a git commit hook, for example
.. code-block:: sh
export ALINT_IGNORE= # adjust as needed
asterisklint dialplan-check PATH/TO/extensions.conf
if test $ret -ne 0; then
echo 'One or more dialplan syntax errors. Please fix before committing.' >&2
* Expression parsing.
* Web: state is kept between requests:
- on 500-error, the next user may get older errors (because of the
- the BackGround/Background hack is stored between requests
* Log/store Set'd variables and compare against Read variables. Also log
variables Set through the ARRAY() function. (And HASH?)
* Fix various includes issues:
- Recursive #includes probably make asterisklint run out of stack.
- Add checks for recursive dialplan-includes.
- Scan for missing dialplan-includes.
* Trim CALLERID match (as used in FreePBX dialplan).
* Func_odbc parsing improvements:
- check for missing synopsis/syntax (compare syntax to ARGn count)
- check for correct usage of VAL (write only) and ARG and missing SQL_ESC
- yield the odbc functions instead of contexts like it does now
(See more in func_odbc.py.)
* Add ``app-check`` command to do dialplan checks of individual lines.
* Add ``expr-check`` command to do expression (``$[...]``) checks.
* Allow multiline variables using += (key=val; key+=more-val).
* Investigate whether exten=>s,n(label)... exten=>s,label+10... is valid.
* For the Goto/Gosub-visiting:
- Attempt to match contexts by regex if there are $VARs involved?
- Allow a "noqa" style exceptions to be placed in a comment?
* Improve documentation as needed.
* Before 1.0, start adding versioning -- including semver -- so users can
depend on a stable API from their custom scripts. Also version the scripts
(commands) so they won't talk to older/newer libs if that poses a problem.
* The library is very much in flux. Don't expect it to stabilize any time
soon. Pay attention to versions!
* Multiline comments (``;-- ... --;``) are unsupported. Does anyone use those?
* Limits aren't checked (dialplan lines are limited at 255 or 8191 bytes
for LOW_MEMORY and normal mode respectively).
* The library/suite is Python3 only. Right now the effort to make it Python2
compatible is larger than the demand. In the future Python2 compatibility
will become even less relevant.
Walter Doekes, OSSO B.V. 2015-2017
* When doing dialplan-file mutations, operate on the symlink target
instead of replacing the symlink.
* Don't install README files into /usr, but in
/usr/share/doc/asterisklint (or with a different prefix).
* Also search in included contexts for priority labels.
* Add various apps:
- Authenticate, ControlPlayback, PickupChan
- PickupOld1v4 (a workaround, see ASTERISK-26464)
- VoiceMailPlayMsg, VMSayName,
- ContinueWhile, EndWhile, ExitWhile, While,
- AGI, DeadAGI, EAGI,
* Add various functions:
- DB, DB_EXISTS, DB_KEYS, DB_DELETE,
- MD5, TIMEOUT
- LOCAL, LOCAL_PEEK, STACK_PEEK
* Add initial checks of function parameters: nothing more than the
parentheses check we already used on undefined apps.
* Add application Set() support. Add function SET() support. This also
enables checking calls to writable functions.
* Allow both the "BackGround" and "Background" spelling, as long as
you choose one consistently.
* A bunch of refactoring to make BetterCodeHub happy. If you've made
custom subcommands, look at the MainBase class.
* Add test with Asterisk 13 sample dialplan as input.
* Add web frontend into repository.
* Add preliminary Goto/Gosub scanning: the dialplan-check now tries to
find non-existent goto destinations. New error classes:
E_DP_GOTO_CONTEXT_NOLABEL, E_DP_GOTO_NOCONTEXT, E_DP_GOTO_NOLABEL,
* Add preliminary app argument checking. New error classes:
E_APP_ARG_IFCONST, E_APP_ARG_IFEMPTY, E_APP_ARG_SYNTAX.
* Add new command: ident-scan. It lists used contexts, labels and
variables and does a poor attempt at finding typo's by comparing
them against each other.
* Add Asterisk apps: NoCDR, Record.
* The commands taking a path to extensions.conf now default to scanning
for it in the current directory.
* Python3.5 testcase compatibility fix.
* Don't look in __init__ for custom commands.
* Add partial func_odbc checking.
* Add new command: func_odbc-check
* Do func_odbc checks for modules-show and dialplan-show, so you don't
get flooded with E_FUNC_MISSING errors if you use func_odbc.
* Fix a few variable/dialplan parsing bugs, improve some.
* Initial release.
* The following commands are available:
dialplan-check, dialplan-show, modules-show
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.