Async generators and context managers for Python 3.5+
The async_generator library
Python 3.6 added async generators. (What’s an async generator? Check out my 5-minute lightning talk demo from PyCon 2016.) Python 3.7 adds some more tools to make them usable, like contextlib.asynccontextmanager.
This library gives you all that back to Python 3.5.
For example, this code only works in Python 3.6+:
async def load_json_lines(stream_reader): async for line in stream_reader: yield json.loads(line)
But this code does the same thing, and works on Python 3.5+:
from async_generator import async_generator, yield_ @async_generator async def load_json_lines(stream_reader): async for line in stream_reader: await yield_(json.loads(line))
Or in Python 3.7, you can write:
from contextlib import asynccontextmanager @asynccontextmanager async def background_server(): async with trio.open_nursery() as nursery: value = await nursery.start(my_server) try: yield value finally: # Kill the server when the scope exits nursery.cancel_scope.cancel()
This is the same, but back to 3.5:
from async_generator import async_generator, yield_, asynccontextmanager @asynccontextmanager @async_generator async def background_server(): async with trio.open_nursery() as nursery: value = await nursery.start(my_server) try: await yield_(value) finally: # Kill the server when the scope exits nursery.cancel_scope.cancel()
(And if you’re on 3.6, you can use @asynccontextmanager with native generators.)
Let’s do this
- Install: python3 -m pip install -U async_generator (or on Windows, maybe py -3 -m pip install -U async_generator
- Manual: https://async-generator.readthedocs.io/
- Bug tracker and source code: https://github.com/python-trio/async_generator
- Real-time chat: https://gitter.im/python-trio/general
- License: MIT or Apache 2, your choice
- Contributor guide: https://trio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/contributing.html
- Code of conduct: Contributors are requested to follow our code of conduct in all project spaces.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for async_generator-1.10-py3-none-any.whl