A Python DB-API 2.0 client for the AWS Aurora Serverless Data API
pip install aurora-data-api
aws rds modify-db-cluster --db-cluster-identifier DB_CLUSTER_NAME --enable-http-endpoint --apply-immediately
Save the database credentials in AWS Secrets Manager using a format expected by the Data API (a JSON object with the keys username and password):
aws secretsmanager put-secret-value --secret-id MY_DB_CREDENTIALS --secret-string "$(jq -n '.username=env.PGUSER | .password=env.PGPASSWORD')"
Configure your AWS command line credentials using standard AWS conventions.
Use this module as you would use any DB-API compatible driver module. The aurora_data_api.connect() method is the standard main entry point, and accepts two implementation-specific keyword arguments:
- aurora_cluster_arn (also referred to as resourceArn in the Data API documentation)
- secret_arn (the database credentials secret)
import aurora_data_api cluster_arn = "arn:aws:rds:us-east-1:123456789012:cluster:my-aurora-serverless-cluster" secret_arn = "arn:aws:secretsmanager:us-east-1:123456789012:secret:MY_DB_CREDENTIALS" with aurora_data_api.connect(aurora_cluster_arn=cluster_arn, secret_arn=secret_arn, database="my_db") as conn: with conn.cursor() as cursor: cursor.execute("select * from pg_catalog.pg_tables") print(cursor.fetchall())
The RDS Data API is the link between the AWS Lambda serverless environment and the sophisticated features provided by PostgreSQL and MySQL. The Data API tunnels SQL over HTTP, which has advantages in the context of AWS Lambda:
- It eliminates the need to open database ports to the AWS Lambda public IP address pool
- It uses stateless HTTP connections instead of stateful internal TCP connection pools used by most database drivers (the stateful pools become invalid after going through AWS Lambda freeze-thaw cycles, causing connection errors and burdening the database server with abandoned invalid connections)
- It uses AWS role-based authentication, eliminating the need for the Lambda to handle database credentials directly
Licensed under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size aurora_data_api-0.0.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (9.6 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size aurora-data-api-0.0.2.tar.gz (5.3 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for aurora_data_api-0.0.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl