Functions and classes for many purposes, that I use all the time in multiple programs.
The fact that these are just bits and pieces does not prevent them from having bugs, so they are under version control at http://code.google.com/p/bag
The library is tested on Python 2.7 and 3.3.
Most important library contents
- bag.csv2 – The infamous csv Python module does not support unicode; problem solved.
- bag.csv3 – In web apps, uploaded files come as byte streams, so we provide a decoding generator. If you’d like the order of the CSV columns not to matter, there is a header-based reader. There is also a buffered CSV writer for outputting CSV in a web app.
- bag.email_validator – The ultimate functions for email validation and domain validation, as well as an email address harvester.
- bag.file_id_manager – Use this to hash your files, store the hashes, and know when you already have some file.
If you use the Pyramid web framework
- bag.web.pyramid.flash_msg – Advanced flash messages scheme for Pyramid.
- bag.web.pyramid.locale – Easily enable and disable locales, let users switch languages, and use the browser’s languages by default.
- bag.web.pyramid.plugins_manager – Make your Pyramid app extensible through plugins.
- bag.web.pyramid.starter – Reusable configurator for starting up Pyramid web applications.
- bag.web.pyramid.genshi – Use the Genshi templating language with the Pyramid web framework.
- bag.web.pyramid.kajiki – Use the Kajiki templating language with the Pyramid web framework.
Less important library contents
- bag.bytes_box – Wraps an Image in another object that can instantiate it from a number of sources (bytes, files etc.) and then copy, resize or write it. The interface is experimental but seems to be very convenient.
- bag.file_watcher – Watches a bunch of files and when one of them is modified, runs a callback. Also useful for reloading Python modules when they are altered.
- bag.log – Convenient logging initialization.
- bag.html – Encode and decode HTML and XML entities.
- bag.memoize – Memoize decorator with a LRU (least recently used) cache, which can take a keymaker function as an argument.
- bag.more_codecs – Got text in some weird encoding that Python doesn’t know? OK, use iconv to decode it.
- bag.percentage_done – Don’t leave your user wondering if your program is hanging; print the percentage of work done every few seconds.
- bag.sqlalchemy.context – Convenient SQLALchemy initialization, at last.
- bag.text – Functions for working with unicode strings.