Access to Biological Web Services from Python
|note:||BioServices is tested for Python 2.7, 3.3. Version 3.4 is currently not available due to a gevent dependencies, which should be fixed soon.|
|contributions:||Please join https://github.com/cokelaer/bioservices|
|issues:||Please use https://github.com/cokelaer/bioservices/issues|
Bioservices is a Python package that provides access to many Bioinformatices Web Services (e.g., UniProt) and a framework to easily implement Web Services wrappers (based on WSDL/SOAP or REST protocols).
The primary goal of BioServices is to use Python as a glue language to provide a programmatic access to several Bioinformatics Web Services. By doing so, elaboration of new applications that combine several of the wrapped Web Services is fostered.
One of the main philosophy of BioServices is to make use of the existing biological databases (not to re-invent new databases) and to alleviates the needs for expertise in Web Services for the developers/users.
BioServices provides access to 25 Web Services including. For a quick start, look at some notebooks related to
- UniProt on uniprot nbviewer
- BioModels on biomodels nbviewer
- ChhEMBL on chembl nbviewer
- KEGG on KEGG nbviewer
- MUSCLE on MUSCLE nbviewer
- NCBIBlast on ncbiblast nbviewer
- WikiPathway on wikipathway nbviewer
and more on github.
An up-to-date list of Web Services is provided within the online documentation.
Here is a small example using the UniProt Web Service to search for the zap70 specy in human organism:
>>> from bioservices import UniProt >>> u = UniProt(verbose=False) >>> data = u.search("zap70+and+taxonomy:9606", format="tab", limit=3, ... columns="entry name,length,id, genes") >>> print(data) Entry name Length Entry Gene names ZAP70_HUMAN 619 P43403 ZAP70 SRK B4E0E2_HUMAN 185 B4E0E2 RHOH_HUMAN 191 Q15669 RHOH ARHH TTF
More examples and tutorials are available in the exhaustive On-line documentation
This is a summary of the changelog. Complete change can be found in the <main documentation.
- Source code moved to github.com
- New REST class to use requests package instead of urllib2.
- Creation of a global configuration file in .config/bioservice/bioservices.cfg
- NEW services: Reactome, Readseq, Ensembl, EUtils
- add try/except for pandas library.
- added sub-package called apps with some useful tools (fasta,peptides, taxon) in bioservices.apps directory
- NEW services: BioDBnet, BioDBNet, MUSCLE, PathwayCommons, GeneProf
- NEW services: biocarta, pfam, ChEBI, UniChem
- Add documentation and examples related to Galaxy/BioPython.
- NEW Service : HGNC
- Use BeautifulSoup4 instead of 3
- add PDB, ArrayExpress, biomart, chemspider draft, eutils, miriam, arrayexpress
- First release of bioservices
- Stable version of bioservices including the following services:
- BioModels, Kegg, Reactome, Chembl, PICR, QuickGO, Rhea, UniProt, WSDbfetch, NCBIblast, PSICQUIC, Wikipath