binary diff and patch using the BSDIFF4-format
The code is mostly derived from cx_bsdiff (written by Anthony Tuininga, http://cx-bsdiff.sourceforge.net/). The cx_bsdiff code in turn was derived from bsdiff, the standalone utility produced for BSD which can be found at http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff. In addition to the two functions (diff and patch) cx_bsdiff provides, this package includes:
- an interface to the BSDIFF4-format
- command line interfaces: bsdiff4 and bspatch4
The bsdiff4 package defines the following high level functions:
- diff(src_bytes, dst_bytes) -> bytes
- Return a BSDIFF4-format patch (from src_bytes to dst_bytes) as bytes.
- patch(src_bytes, patch_bytes) -> bytes
- Apply the BSDIFF4-format patch_bytes to src_bytes and return the bytes.
- file_diff(src_path, dst_path, patch_path)
- Write a BSDIFF4-format patch (from the file src_path to the file dst_path) to the file patch_path.
- file_patch(src_path, dst_path, patch_path)
- Apply the BSDIFF4-format file patch_path to the file src_path and write the result to the file dst_path.
>>> import bsdiff4 >>> a = bytes(100000 * 'a') >>> b = bytearray(a) >>> b[100:106] = ' diff ' >>> p = bsdiff4.diff(a, bytes(b)) >>> len(p) 154 >>> bsdiff4.patch(a, p) == b True