No project description provided
butter-hopper is a collection of tools to help making switching between multiple distros easier butter-hopper allows you to try out multiple distros on a single large BTRFS partition using BTRFS subvolumes.
- butter-hopper uses
ch-bootinto your desired distro
- And if you wanna take it for an actual spin on your hardware you can do that too
- butter-hopper will extract boot entries in the OS and present them in GRUB/rEFInd menu.
- Installing and upgrading various common packages on many distros can be time consuming.
nixas package management/cache which can be used from any distro
- Support installing tools like IDE, VSCode which don't need to be packaged to
- PLANNED: Using qemu/KVM to boot GUI to another distro
- Make sure all of distro use systemd and support btrfs which should be any recent distro
- For the boot to hardware you want to make sure you have a recent version of GRUB2 installed with
support for btrfs.
butter hopper tools
btrhop: The main command line interface to btrhop which allows managing snapshots, running, upgrading distros
bootcrap: Command line tools to bootstrap a distro from rootfs or docker images.
mntem: A tool to help manage multiple mount points of BTRFS subvolumes/ shared storage.
nixy: Helper script to install
nixand setup packages on common
While using a default user of
1000 and allowing any user to change stuffs in
butter-hopper recommends using differnt user ids of your primary user and supports in the config.
To take a sample config of
butter-hopper.conf look at my dotfile in your preferred Git hosting.
Change your default subvol to "/staging" so you dont accidentally mount the real root
To do that simply run
btrhop populate-distros --staging
This is the layout pulled directly from my current install.
butter-hopper installs distros to
/distros in your btrfs partition
distros ├── arch │ ├── @ │ └── home ├── debian-buster │ ├── @ │ └── home ├── fedora │ ├── @ │ └── home ├── tumbleweed │ ├── @ │ └── home ├── ubuntu-latest │ ├── @ │ └── home
Copyright (c) 2019 Cswl Coldwind firstname.lastname@example.org Licensed under the MIT License. See LICENSE.txt
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size butter_hopper-0.2.0-py3-none-any.whl (9.4 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size butter-hopper-0.2.0.tar.gz (7.2 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for butter_hopper-0.2.0-py3-none-any.whl