View colored, incremental diff in workspace, given patch or two files, or from stdin, with side by side and auto pager support
Term based tool to view colored, incremental diff in git/svn/hg workspace, given patch or two files, or from stdin, with side by side and auto pager support. Requires python (>= 2.5.0) and less.
Install with pip
Cdiff is already listed on PyPI, you can install with pip if you have the tool.
pip install --upgrade cdiff
Install with setup.py
You can also run the setup.py from the source if you don’t have pip.
git clone https://github.com/ymattw/cdiff.git cd cdiff ./setup.py install
Both pip and setup.py installs cdiff to system wide directory, if you want a minimal tool without the boring external dependencies (like me), just save cdiff.py to whatever directory which is in your $PATH, for example, $HOME/bin is in my $PATH, so I save the script there and name as cdiff.
curl -ksS https://raw.github.com/ymattw/cdiff/master/cdiff.py > ~/bin/cdiff chmod +x ~/bin/cdiff
Cdiff reads diff from diff (patch) file if given, or stdin if redirected, or diff produced by revision tool if in a git/svn/hg workspace. Use option -s to enable side by side view, and option -w N to set a text width other than default 80. See examples below.
Read diff from local modification in a svn, git, or hg workspace:
cd proj-workspace cdiff # view colored incremental udiff cdiff -s # view side by side cdiff -s -w 90 # use text width 90 other than default 80
Pipe in a diff:
git log -p -2 | cdiff -s git show 15bfa5 | cdiff -s svn diff -r PREV | cdiff -s
View a diff (patch) file:
cdiff foo.patch cdiff foo.patch -s cdiff foo.patch -s -w 90
View diff between two files (wrapper of diff):
cdiff foo foo.new # equivalent to diff -u foo foo.new | cdiff cdiff foo foo.new -s
Redirect output to another patch file is safe:
svn diff -r PREV | cdiff -s > my.patch
- Works with python >= 2.5.0 (subprocess.Popen seems not working with PIPE in 2.4.3, maybe you can fix it)
- Only takes unified diff for input
- Side by side mode has alignment problem for wide chars
Pull request is very welcome, make sure run make test to verify. Single commit in pull request would make it easier for review, for example to collapse last 3 commits into 1 before push, use git rebase -i HEAD~3, pick the first and squash the other two.
Version 0.4 (2013-02-16)
- New option -c WHEN (–color WHEN) to support auto test
- Auto regression test now on Travis
Version 0.3 (2013-02-07)
- Support compare two files (wrapper of diff)
Version 0.2 (2013-02-06)
- Move cdiff.py to top dir for better meta info management
Version 0.1 (2013-02-05)
- New –version option
- setup.py now read version from source code
Version 0.0.4 (2013-02-04)
- Add CHANGES for history track and better versioning
Version 0.0.3 (2013-02-04)
- Publish on PyPI, supports read patch from file, pipe and diff output from revision tools (thanks to Steven Myint)