Chimera - Observatory Automation System
Chimera is a package to control astronomical observatories aiming the creation of remote and even autonomous observatories with just a few clicks. Using Chimera you can easily control telescopes, CCD cameras, focusers and domes in a very integrated way.
- Fully distributed system. You can use different machines to control each instrument and everything will looks like just one.
- Very powerful autonomous mode. Give a target and exposure parameters and Chimera does the rest.
- Web interface
- Web interface to schedule and monitor observations (in development).
- Hardware support
Support for most common off-the-shelf components. See supported devices.
Very easy to add support for new instruments (it’s Python code!).
- Chimera can be used in a very integrated mode but also in standalone mode to control just one instrument.
- It’s free (as in free beer) and written in a very modern language. Python!.
To try out Chimera, follow the installation instructions and make sure that you have at least one supported devices.
The easiest way to install Chimera is to use easy_install:
sudo easy_install chimera-python
… and that’s it! All dependencies are automagically installed.
You can also download the sources at Chimera Development page and try to install it by hands.
Help and Development
You can help Chimera development, we are always looking for contributors. If you don’t write code, no problem! You can write documentation, help with this site, marketing. Everyone can help!
See our Development page for more information, to report a bug or just follow Chimera’s development closely.
Meade based LX-200 (Meade, Losmandy).
Paramount ME using TheSky COM+ interfaces.
- CCD Cameras
- SBIG USB cameras.
- OPTEC NGF-S
- COTE/LNA Dome (LNA specific).
- CCD Cameras
- Apogee USB/Ethernet cameras.
If you need support for any device which Chimera’s doesn’t support, call us and we can try to develop it or help you to do it.
Chimera is Free/Open Software licensed by GPL v2 or later (at your choice).
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|File Name & Checksum SHA256 Checksum Help||Version||File Type||Upload Date|
|chimera-python-0.1.tar.bz2 (499.9 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||May 12, 2008|
|chimera-python-0.1.tar.gz (582.2 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||May 12, 2008|
|chimera-python-0.1.zip (691.9 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||May 12, 2008|