Make easy to add your Plone site to Google News.
Table of Contents
- Google News Sitemap
- Editors’ Picks feeds
- Google News Behavior
Google News is a computer-generated news service that aggregates headlines from more than 50,000 news sources worldwide, grouping similar stories together, and displaying them according to each reader’s interests.
In order for your content to be included in Google News, Google has certain restrictions in place to make sure their crawler only includes links to URLs that are actually news articles.
Google also asks you to review all of their guidelines before submitting your site for inclusion in Google News.
This package helps you make your Plone site comply with Google’s technical requirements.
To enable this product in a buildout-based installation:
Edit your buildout.cfg and add collective.googlenews to the list of eggs to install:
[buildout] ... eggs = collective.googlenews
After updating the configuration you need to run ‘’bin/buildout’‘, which will take care of updating your system.
Go to the ‘Site Setup’ page in a Plone site and click on the ‘Add-ons’ link.
Check the box next to collective.googlenews and click the ‘Activate’ button.
This add-on adds a @@googlenews-sitemap.xml view accessible on INavigationRoot context. The view complies with Google News sitemap guidelines, listing only URLs for news articles published in the last two days, and having no more than 1,000 items.
By default, the News sitemap includes only instances of the News Item content type in your site. This can be changed into Google News configlet at ‘Site Setup’.
You can submit your News sitemap using the Google Search Console. Your News sitemap URL is something like:
Note that your site must be already included in Google News. If it’s not, you can apply for inclusion within the Google News Publisher Center.
Editors’ Picks enables you to provide up to five links to original news content you believe represents your organization’s best journalistic work at any given moment, and potentially have it displayed on the Google News homepage or select section pages.
This add-on includes also a behavior to add two extra fields on Dexterity-based content types:
- Standout Journalism
- Used to indicate this is a big story, or an extraordinary work of journalism. You can mark as standout no more than seven news articles in the past calendar week. Implements Google News standout metatag.
- Used to specify keywords that are relevant to this news article. Add one phrase or keyword on each line. Implements Google News news_keywords metatag.
- In ‘Site Setup’, select the Dexterity Content Types configlet
- Select your content type
- Go to Behaviors tab and select Google News
A new fieldset called Google News will be present in the edit form of your content type.
Google News behavior in action.
- Issue Tracker: https://github.com/collective/collective.googlenews/issues
- Source Code: https://github.com/collective/collective.googlenews
The project is licensed under the GPLv2.
- Jean-Michel FRANCOIS
- Héctor Velarde
- Gonzalo Almeida
- Franco Pellegrini
- Leonardo J. Caballero G.
- Rodrigo Ferreira de Souza
- Package clean up; useless code related with initial upgrade step was removed. [hvelarde]
- Fix standout journalism validator. [hvelarde]
- Remove dependency on five.grok (closes #34). [rodfersou]
- Package is now compatible with Plone 5. [hvelarde]
- Refactor logo validation to ensure image is in PNG format. [hvelarde]
- Standout journalism field validator was rewritten to avoid false positives (closes #30). [hvelarde]
- News sitemap publication language was fixed. [hvelarde]
- The viewlet associated with the Google News behavior was rising TypeError on empty news_keywords; this is now fixed. [hvelarde]
- An upgrade step is now provided to add catalog indexes and metadata for Google News behavior fields. [hvelarde]
- Include keywords tag on sitemap (closes #27). [rodfersou]
- Hide uninstall profile. [rodfersou]
- Update Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish translations. [hvelarde]
- Add behavior with standout_journalism and news_keywords fields (closes #19). [hvelarde]
- The Google News sitemap is now implemented as a browser view accesible on INavigationRoot and independent of any content type (closes #20). [rodfersou]
- Do not change object id as Google News technical requirements no longer mentions the addition of a three-digit number; URL only need to be unique and permanent, and that’s the standard Plone behavior (closes #16). [hvelarde]
- Keywords mapping feature was removed as the values on the <keywords> tag of Google News Sitemaps may be drawn from, but are not limited to, the list of existing Google News keywords (closes #14). [hvelarde]
- Add support for Editors’ Picks feeds (closes #9). [rodfersou, hvelarde]
- Update package dependencies. [hvelarde]
- Drop support for Plone 4.0, Plone 4.1, Plone 4.2 and Python 2.6. [hvelarde]
- Updated i18n support. [macagua]
- Add keyword mapping support.
- Update french translations
- Replaced the UserFriendlyTypes vocabulary in favor of ReallyUserFriendlyTypes. [frapell]
- Do not run uninstall profile on reinstall. [hvelarde]
- Control panel widget was replaced; we use now Choice instead of ASCIILine (fixes #3). [hvelarde]
- Updated Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese translations. [hvelarde]
- Updated package documentation. [hvelarde]
- Tested Plone 4.2 compatibility. [hvelarde]
- Added support for Dexterity content types (fixes #2). [flecox]
- Added Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese translations. [hvelarde]
- Added some real tests to fix some stuff. [hvelarde]
- Updated package distribution files. [hvelarde]
- Check random digit doesn’t starts with 199 or 200.
- Initial release.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|File Name & Checksum SHA256 Checksum Help||Version||File Type||Upload Date|
|collective.googlenews-2.0b3-py2-none-any.whl (65.0 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||py2||Wheel||Jan 26, 2017|
|collective.googlenews-2.0b3.tar.gz (45.0 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||Jan 26, 2017|