Abstract framework for queueing, optimizing and dispatching index operations for Plone content.
collective.indexing is an approach to provide an abstract framework for queuing and optimizing index operations in Plone as well as dispatching them to various backends. The default implementation aims to replace the standard indexing mechanism of CMF to allow index operations to be handled asynchronously in a backwards-compatible way.
Queuing these operations on a transaction level allows to get rid of redundant indexing of objects and thereby providing a substantial performance improvement. By leveraging the component architecture and Zope event system collective.indexing also makes it much easier to use backends other than or in addition to the standard portal catalog for indexing, such as dedicated search engine solutions like Solr, Xapian or Google Search Appliance. One backend implementation designed to be used with this package has already been started in the form of collective.solr.
The implementation is considered to be ready for production. It can be installed in a Plone 4.x site to enable indexing operations to be queued, optimized and dispatched to the standard portal catalog on the Zope transaction boundary thereby improving the Plone’s out-of-the-box performance.
At the moment the package requires several “monkey patches”, to the mixin classes currently used to hook up indexing, i.e. CMFCatalogAware and CatalogMultiplex, the portal catalog as well as to helper methods in Plone itself. It is planned to clear these up by making the classes “pluggable” via adapterization, allowing collective.indexing to hook in in clean ways.
In conjunction with collective.solr the package also provides a working solution for integration of Solr with Plone. Based on a schema configurable at zc.buildout level indexing operations can be dispatched a Solr instance in addition or alternatively to the standard catalog. This allows for minimal and very efficient indexing of standard Plone content items based on Archetypes. Providing support for other content types is rather trivial and will be support soon.
The code was written with emphasis on minimalism, clarity and maintainability. It comes with extensive tests covering the code base at more than 95%. The package is currently in use in several production sites and considered stable.
For outstanding issues and features remaining to be implemented please see the issue tracker.
The package comes with support for queueing up and performing indexing operations via event subscribers. The idea behind this is to not rely on explicit calls as defined in CMFCatalogAware alone, but instead make it possible to phase them out eventually. As the additional indexing operations added via the subscribers are optimized away anyway, this only adds very little processing overhead.
However, even though IObjectModifiedEvent has support for partial reindexing by passing a list of descriptions/index names, this is currently not used anywhere in Plone. Unfortunately that means that partial reindex operations will be “upgraded” to full reindexes, e.g. for IContainerModifiedEvent via the notifyContainerModified helper, which is one reason why subscriber support is not enabled by default for now.
To activate please use:
[instance] ... zcml = collective.indexing:subscribers.zcml
instead of just the package name itself, re-run buildout and restart your Plone instance.
FAQs / Troubleshooting
The following tries to address some of the known issues. Please also make sure to check the package’s issue tracker and use it to report new bugs and/or discuss possible enhancements. Alternatively, feedback via the “Plone Developers” mailing-list is also most welcome.
“OFS.Uninstalled Could not import class ‘…’ from module ‘…’” Warnings
When loading your Plone site after a Zope restart, i.e. when browsing it, you’re seeing warnings like:
WARNING OFS.Uninstalled Could not import class 'PortalCatalogQueueProcessor' from module 'collective.indexing.indexer' WARNING OFS.Uninstalled Could not import class 'IndexQueueSwitch' from module 'collective.indexing.queue'
- Early versions of the package used persistent local utilities, which are still present in your ZODB. These utilities have meanwhile been replaced and the old instances aren’t needed anymore.
- Please simply re-install the package via Plone’s control panel or the quick-installer. Alternatively you can also use the ZMI “Components” tab on your site root object, typically located at http://localhost:8080/plone/manage_components, to remove the broken utilities from the XML. Search for “broken”.
This code was inspired by enfold.indexing and enfold.solr by Enfold Systems as well as work done at the snowsprint‘08. The TransactionManager pattern is taken from enfold.solr. Development was kindly sponsored by Elkjop.
- Add a method to remove the monkey patches. [gforcada]
- End Of Life: starting with Plone 5.1.0 release collective.indexing has been merged into Plone core. The functionality provided by it is already available [gforcada]
2.0b1 - 2013-02-16
- Compensate for changes in ZCML configuration ordering [rockfruit]
2.0a3 - 2011-08-22
- Added back IIndexQueueSwitch marker interface for better uninstall support for 1.x versions. Fixes https://github.com/Jarn/collective.indexing/issues/2. [hannosch, dholth]
2.0a2 - 2011-07-19
- Use plone.app.testing instead of c.testcaselayer. [hannosch]
- Use getSiteManager to look for all IIndexQueueProcessor’s to capture the ones registered in local site managers. [hannosch]
2.0a1 - 2011-07-09
Upgrade note: This version requires Plone 4.1 but no longer requires any persistent configuration or does it have any UI. Please deactivate the add-on in the add-ons control panel. The functionality will be present as long as the package is available on the Python path.
- Use dispatchToSublocations from zope.container. [hannosch]
- Optimize the queue before calling begin on index processors, thus avoiding the extra setup cost if the queue is optimized to contain no items. [hannosch]
- Removed reindexOnReorder patch, which isn’t required anymore in Plone 4. [hannosch]
- Removed the conditional auto_flush feature and instead always enable it. [hannosch]
- Merged QueueReducer into the queue.optimize method. [hannosch]
- Remove the utils.getIndexer indirection. [hannosch]
- Remove utils.isActive - when installed we are always active. [hannosch]
- Remove Plone 3 backwards compatibility code. This version requires Plone 4. [hannosch]
- Remove GenericSetup profile, Plone control panel and move configuration to global utility. [hannosch]
- Add uninstall profile. [kiorky]
1.8 - Released July 20th, 2010
- Moved patching log calls to debug level. [hannosch]
- Fix broken pickling caused by the lambda introduced by the fix for http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/11 [gotcha]
- Add danish translations for control panel strings. [stonor]
1.7 - Released April 16th, 2010
- Prevent multiple updates of an object’s modification date on full reindex. This fixes http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/11 [witsch]
- Ensure that errors during queue processing won’t leave behind the queue in the module global processing set, thereby preventing any further indexing. [hannosch]
- Change the dependency on Archetypes into a soft one. [witsch]
- Also monkey-patch Archetypes’ BaseBTreeFolder, which keeps references to the methods from CMFCatalogAware as it is usually initialized before the patched methods are in place. [witsch]
- Adjust test to the changes related to PLIP 4379. [witsch]
- Add helper method to determine if a given object has its own copy of a given indexing method, e.g. reindexObject. [witsch]
1.6 - Released March 6th, 2010
- Clean up and split out test-only dependencies. [witsch]
1.5 - Released March 4th, 2010
- Immediately update an object’s modification date on full reindex. This fixes http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/4 [do3cc, witsch]
- Add “z3c.autoinclude.plugin” entry point, so in Plone 3.3+ you can avoid loading the ZCML file. [hannosch]
1.4 - Released February 11th, 2010
- Ensure indexing for “lifecycle” operations works in (nearly) the same way with and without event subscribers. [witsch]
1.3 - Released February 2nd, 2010
- Don’t activate event subscriber support by default as it can have performance implications. [witsch]
- Make the wrapper used for unindexing return the correct acquisition parent. This fixes http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/6 as well as http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10088 [witsch]
1.2 - Released January 23rd, 2010
- Improve logging of auto-flushes for easier performance tuning. [witsch]
- Add support for Zope 2.12. [wichert]
- Made all but one test work on both Plone 3 and 4 by relying on fewer internal details of the functions under test. [hannosch]
- Adjusted tests to set a site explicitly in the layer. [hannosch]
- Changed zope.app.event imports to zope.lifecycleevent. The former was deprecated since Zope 2.10. [hannosch]
- Fix event subscriber for IObjectModified events without a description. [gweis]
1.1 - Released June 9th, 2009
- Patch CatalogTool.getCounter to process the indexing queue before returning the counter indicating catalog changes (aka auto-flush). [witsch]
1.0 - Released May 8th, 2009
- Register import and export steps using ZCML. [witsch]
1.0rc5 - Released April 20th, 2009
- Add support for GenericSetup. [witsch]
- Add configlet to allow TTW activation and configuration. [witsch]
- Update code to (almost) comply to PEP8 style guide lines. [witsch]
- Added logging to monkey patches. [swampmonkey]
1.0rc4 - Released December 8th, 2008
- Provide a workaround for an issue with indexing objects using stale acquisition chains after moving them in an event subscriber. [witsch]
- Optimize “auto flushing” to prevent unnecessary component lookups. [witsch]
1.0rc3 - Released November 19th, 2008
- Also patch unrestrictedSearchResults to flush queued indexing operations before querying the catalog. This fixes http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/2 [mr_savage]
1.0rc2 - Released November 17th, 2008
- Fix issue where, when the “auto flush” feature is enabled, an indexing helper could cause an infinite loop by using the catalog. [witsch]
- Restore and extend test regarding package installation. [witsch]
1.0rc1 - Released November 5th, 2008
- Restored processQueue function as it is conceptually important. [stefan]
1.0b5 - Released October 16th, 2008
- Fix transaction handling to properly abort indexing operations. [witsch]
- Refactor helper method for auto-flushing the queue to make it more easily re-usable. [witsch]
- Enable the monkey patch for PloneTool.reindexOnReorder in all versions of Plone 3.x as it’s not been ported upstream yet. This fixes http://plone.org/products/collective.indexing/issues/1 [witsch]
- Refactor auto-flush monkey-patch to not interfere with testing. [witsch]
- Patched CatalogTool.searchResults to process the indexing queue before issuing a query (aka auto-flush). [stefan]
- Fix test isolation issues and improve test setup. [witsch]
- Made sure QueueReducer sorts results by opcode. Unindex operations must be handled before (re)index operations. [stefan]
- Added processQueue function to process a queue immediately. [stefan]
- Fixed testModifyObject in Plone 3.1 by clearing the file’s creation flag in afterSetUp. [stefan]
- Fixed testQueuesOnTwoThreads on Linux by sleeping for a moment so threads can do their work. [stefan]
1.0b4 - Released June 30th, 2008
- Perform processing of the queue during “active” state of the transaction as additional changes are forbidden in “committing” state. Those changes can for example be caused by indexes writing back data to content items, such as the modification time. [witsch, mj]
1.0b3 - Released June 18th, 2008
- Fix an issue where objects providing their own __setattr__ could potentially not be deleted. [witsch]
1.0b2 - Released June 2nd, 2008
- Add aq_inner to prevent infinite recursion with safe_hasattr. [witsch]
1.0b1 - Released May 28, 2008
- Make sure we get REQUEST correctly in PathWrapper. [tesdal]
1.0a3 - Released May 28, 2008
- Respect overridden indexing methods to prevent erroneous indexing and generally allow special handling. [witsch]
- Fix leftover index entry after renaming an object. [witsch]
- The bad monkey smacked back with a vengeance, but was finally tamed. [witsch]
- Smacked a bad monkey that was checking for nonexisting attribute getObjPositionInParent. [tesdal]
1.0a2 - Released May 25, 2008
- Fix bug regarding different types in the queue reducer logic. [fschulze]
- Fixed renaming of content items by replacing PloneTool.reindexOnReorder with a saner version that doesn’t rely on the catalog. [witsch]
- Various fixes, cleanups and optimizations. [witsch]
- Fixed monkey patches so that normal indexing remains functional when queued indexing has been deactivated (or the GS profile had not been applied yet). [witsch]
1.0a1 - Released March 31, 2008
- Initial release [tesdal, witsch]