Expand/collapse feature for specific Plone navigation entries, in an unobtrusive way
Table of contents
- Detailed documentation
- Cache controls
- Other products
Scope of this product is to make possible an expand/collapse feature in Plone navigation(s) portlet without any modification to the navigation code itself, or any needs to override its features.
More important: it is only focused to make some navigation links to be expandable.
The collective.navigationtoggle is useful when your Plone site needs (not much) special handling of navigation elements. Sometimes your site structure is someway like this:
ROOT | |_ FolderWhatever \_ NotImportantFolder | |_ ImportantFolder1 ... \_ ImportantFolderN
If you configure your navigation portlet on the site root, users must click on the NotImportantFolder and reload the whole page to reach the ImportantFolder’s section. The site at the NotImportantFolder level is not useful… maybe you only give a folder_listing view or a default page that only say “Welcome to an important area of the site, please visit the subsection you are looking for…”.
For the user experience the first click is only a waste of time.
What you are looking for can be a client side effect that expand/collapse the folder in the navigation. The NotImportantFolder itself is not seen as a real content in your information architecture.
Make possible that special navigation links will no more move the user to the target section but simply shows in the navigation itself all subsections (so the navigation seems like the user really moved to the target folder).
A second click will collapse the section.
Default page in a folder, elements marked with “Exclude from navigation” and unwanted type from the metaTypesNotToList property will be excluded.
The script try to simulate best at possible a normal portlet navigation behaviour.
In your Plone configuration panel you’ll find the new “Navigation Toggle settings”.
From this section you can configure a lot of advanced options, mainly you need to configure:
- Link selectors
A set of URL path suffix like /foo1/foo2 of an href attribute for a link. With this example a link like this will be hit:
Commonly only link inside navigation portlet are checked (see the “Toggle container classes”).
You can also provide here a complex jQuery expression, for example:
If you don’t directly provide a selector that match an HTML <A> element, you still need to query for something inside that kind of node, for example:
li.navTreeItem a.contenttype-folder span
In the last example above, only a click of the navigation entry text will trigger the expand/collapse features, while clicking on the icon will keep the default browser behavior.
- Animation delay
The product can enable for you a graphical effect when you expand/collapse items. This is disabled by default.
Simply put it to 0 again (the default) to disable effect.
- Check it to perform client side cache of the AJAX request. If disabled a request to the server will be performed for every click on navigations.
- Toggle container classes
A set of CSS classes that mark you navigation elements. Only links inside elements with one of those classes are “toggleable”.
Note that this option is ignored for “Links selectors” entries where you used a jQuery expression and not a URL path.
- HTML list type
- The type of HTML container element to looks for.
- HTML list item
- The type of HTML item element to be generated.
This products dinamically adds two new possible CSS classes to <li> elements that contains links that match the configuration.
Class “cnavClosed” is added when a special navigation elements is shown on the page and when you close a subtree. When a subsection is open, the class “cnavOpen” is added to the same element.
The generated substructure is a copy of the main structure given by Plone, but a “cnavGenerated” class is added to it.
You can (but this product doesn’t) rely on those classes to give additional styles effects in your Plone theme.
- Firefox 16 (…probably a new major version will be released while I’m typing this line…)
- Google Chrome 23 (…same as above…)
- Opera 12
- Safari 5.1
- Internet Explorer 8, 9
- Plone 3.3 (classic Plone theme)
- Plone 4.2 (classic Plone theme and Sunburst)
- Plone 4.3 (classic Plone theme and Sunburst)
When changing configuration you can use the “Save and invalidate JS cache” button.
If you need a complete expand/collapse navigation feature this product is not for you; so take a look at:
Developed with the support of:
All of them supports the PloneGov initiative.
- fixed a bug in @@query-subelements when using the product in a Plone site that’s inside another folder (filesystem, for example) [mpampols]
- fixed a bug that badly put rules inside the generated collective.navigationtoggle.rules.js if they contains a quote char [keul]
- fixed a bug when used with containers with spaces inside the id (close #2) [keul]
- file icon of generated elements where not handled in the right way (close #3) [keul]
- added a way to invalidate JS cache (close #1) [keul]
- now general selectors can match also elements that are not <a>, but link’s contents (close #4) [keul]
- now checking the typesUseViewActionInListings configuration (close #5) [keul]
- added a product’s browser layer [keul]
- provided an own configuration panel [keul]
- added all remaining configutation in Plone UI [keul]
- toggleContainerClass now is toggleContainerClasses (can be used for a set of classes) [keul]
- added i18n support and italian translation [keul]
- changes AJAX calling context, now always calling portal root URL [keul]
- you can now use more general jQuery selector instead of simple URL path [keul]
- do not show types that are in list of unwanted types in navigation [keul]
- collective.navigationtoggle.txt was empty [keul]
- JSLint cleanup [keul]
- code is more general, and new properties likes toggleContainerClass, listType and listItem has been added. The code now can be used to simulate navigators also with not portlet navigator structures [keul]
- added the uninstall GS step [keul]
- fixed the simplejson dependency correctly, only if with Python < 2.6 [keul]
- links selectors can be added through Plone UI [keul]
- fixed a bug when fast double-click on opened elements (close #1) [keul]
- much better Sunburst support (and other themes, in general), now checking also for “contenttype-xx” and “state-xx” CSS classes on links [keul]
- query_subelement view documentation was incomplete [keul]
- when querying empty folder, do not prevent (in facts: simulate) browser default action [keul]
- prevent browser cache (mainly know Internet Explorer problem) [keul]
- do not always display the content’s image icon (sometimes users don’t see them in navigation) [keul]
- now every element node cache its subtree, so AJAX call is performed only once (can be disabled) [keul]
- added dependency on simplejson for formatting server responses [keul]
- added minimal Plone 4.0 compatibility (UI result is not perfect) [keul]
- added a simple slide up/down effect (disabled by default) [keul]
- initial release
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|collective.navigationtoggle-1.0.2.zip (100.9 kB) View hashes||Source||None|
Hashes for collective.navigationtoggle-1.0.2.zip