Improved syndication for Plone sites providing Atom, iTunes, NewsML 1, RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0 feeds.
Table of Contents
- Life, the Universe, and Everything
- Mostly Harmless
- Don’t Panic
- Share and Enjoy
- There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is
To enable this product in a buildout-based installation:
Edit your buildout.cfg and add collective.syndication to the list of eggs to install:
[buildout] ... eggs = collective.syndication
After updating the configuration you need to run ‘’bin/buildout’‘, which will take care of updating your system.
Go to the ‘Site Setup’ page in a Plone site and click on the ‘Add-ons’ link.
Check the box next to collective.syndication and click the ‘Activate’ button.
You may have to empty your browser cache and save your resource registries in order to see the effects of the product installation.
Atom is an XML-based document format that describes lists of related information known as “feeds”. Feeds are composed of a number of items, known as “entries”, each with an extensible set of attached metadata. For example, each entry has a title.
The primary use case that Atom addresses is the syndication of Web content such as weblogs and news headlines to Web sites as well as directly to user agents.
Atom feeds have multiple advantages over RSS feeds.
NewsML 1 is an XML standard designed to provide a media-independent, structural framework for multi-media news.
In this package, we implement part of the standard, to be usable by MSN. There’s no online reference on how MSN expects data, just a PDF included in the docs folder of this package.
RDF Site Summary is a lightweight multipurpose extensible metadata description and syndication format. RSS is an XML application, conforms to the W3C’s RDF Specification and is extensible via XML-namespace and/or RDF based modularization.
- Fix a problem with ViewPageTemplateFile overriding the Content-Type header, now we set the header after rendering the body, this way third party products can’t break the feeds Content-Type. [jpgimenez]
- Replace beautifulsoup4 with lxml. [jpgimenez]
- Fix a bug with body text coming from dexterity content. [jpgimenez]
- (Bugfix) Return proper headers with the feeds. [frapell]
- Don’t use an interface as filtering mechanism to get NewsML items. [frapell]
- Implement NewsML 1 syndication. [frapell]
- Initial release.