Table-like content for Plone
Easy storage of tabular data
collective.table is a replacement for the “store equipment lists, book loans, etc. in Excel files and upload to Plone”. It’s a list of items where members can add/edit columns and rows and of course data. By default, collective.table stores it’s data in the ZODB, however storage is pluggable and it’s easy to write storage adapters to have data stored in SQL, LDAP, etc.
To install collective.table you simply add “collective.table” to the list of eggs in your buildout, run buildout and restart the Plone server. In Plone’s portal_quickinstaller you select “collective.table” and install it.
Now you can add a Table content-type and start adding your tabular data.
Upon adding a new table you have to specify which columns you would like. You do that by entering column names, one per line, into columns field. When you click save your table will be created, containing one initial row. At the moment, all columns are of type string.
Double-click on a cell of your choosing and enter something. Hitting Enter will save this value.
Add a new row
Click the Create a new row button and a new row will be appended, which you can edit to enter your data.
Deleting a row
Start by selecting a row by clicking on it. Then click the Delete this row button and this row will be deleted. You can select and delete multiple rows.
At this point, collective.table offers only basic functionalities and is somewhat usable. It’s in alpha stage so storage API will change and there will be no migration path. Do not use for storing important data just yet!
Milestone Sauna Sprint
Both Nejc Zupan (GSoC student) and Martijn Pieters (mentor) will be attending the Plone Sauna Sprint 2011. During that week we will focus on the following:
- improve ZODB storage (sorting, filtering, scalability and such)
- improve UI
- add more tests (test coverage is already above 85%, btw)
Milestone End of GSoC
- battle-hardening what we produce during the Sauna Sprint
- selenium tests, ran regularly with help of jenkins.plone.org
- improve user and developer documentation
- export data to csv, etc
- screencast usage demo
- column types (numeric, date, boolean, vocabularies, etc.)
- add SQLAlchemy storage, based on SQLite by default
- import from csv
- insertion of rows in the middle, together with concurrent editing
- Fixed a bug with deleting rows. [zupo]
- Renamed README.txt to README.rst and added README as a soft-link. [zupo]
- Initial release. [zupo]