GUI for Python's logging module
This is a graphical log viewer for Python’s standard logging module. It can be targeted with a SocketHandler with no additional setup (see Usage).
The program is in beta: it’s lacking some features and may be unstable, but it works. cutelog is cross-platform, although it’s mainly written and optimized for Linux.
- Allows any number of simultaneous connections
- Customizable look of log levels and columns, with presets for each
- Filtering based on level and namespace, as well as filtering by searching
- Search through all records or only through filtered ones
- View exception tracebacks or messages in a separate window
- Dark theme (with its own set of colors for levels)
- Pop tabs out of the window, merge records of multiple tabs into one
- Save/load records to/from a file in JSON format
If you’re using Linux, install PyQt5 (or PySide2) from your package manager before installing cutelog (package name is probably python3-pyqt5 or python-pyqt5). Or just run pip install pyqt5 to install it from pip, which is sub-optimal.
$ pip install --upgrade cutelog
Or install the latest development version from the source:
$ pip install git+https://github.com/busimus/cutelog.git
- Python 3.5 (or newer)
- PyQt5 (preferably 5.6 or newer) or PySide2
- Start cutelog
- Put the following into your code:
import logging from logging.handlers import SocketHandler log = logging.getLogger('Root logger') log.setLevel(1) # to send all messages to cutelog socket_handler = SocketHandler('127.0.0.1', 19996) # default listening address log.addHandler(socket_handler) log.info('Hello world!')
Afterwards it’s recommended to designate different loggers for different parts of your program with log_2 = log.getChild(“Child logger”). This will create “log namespaces” which allow you to filter out messages from various subsystems of your program.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size cutelog-2.0.4-py3-none-any.whl (151.8 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|