devpi-server: reliable private and pypi.org caching server
devpi-server: server for private package indexes and PyPI caching
You can point pip or easy_install to the root/pypi/+simple/ index, serving as a transparent cache for pypi-hosted packages.
User specific indexes
Each user (which can represent a person, project or team) can have multiple indexes and upload packages and docs via standard twine or setup.py invocations. Users and indexes can be manipulated through devpi-client and a RESTful HTTP API.
Each index can be configured to merge in other indexes so that it serves both its uploads and all releases from other index(es). For example, an index using root/pypi as a parent is a good place to test out a release candidate before you push it to PyPI.
Good defaults and easy deployment
Get started easily and create a permanent devpi-server deployment including pre-configured templates for nginx and process managers.
Separate tool for Packaging/Testing activities
The complementary devpi-client tool helps to manage users, indexes, logins and typical setup.py-based upload and installation workflows.
See https://doc.devpi.net on how to get started and further documentation.
- Allow stage customizer plugins to filter projects and versions.
- Replicas will use the multiple changelog endpoint added in devpi-server 4.9.0 to reduce the number of requests necessary to synchronize state.
Deprecations and Removals
- fix #518: There are no URLs on PyPI anymore that need to be scraped or crawled, so the code for that was removed.
- removed support for long deprecated acl_upload and bases mirror index option. They were only kept for compatibility with devpi-client <= 2.4.1.
- the --start, --stop, --status and --log options are deprecated. Use --gen-config to create example configuration files for various process managers.
- removed long deprecated pypi_whitelist index option. It was only kept for compatibility with devpi-client <= 2.4.1.
- deprecated Python 2.7 support. This is the last major version supporting Python 2.7. For upgrading to Python 3.x you have to export your data using your current setup with Python 2.7 and import it in a new installation with Python 3.x.
- fix #249: unknown keys for index configuration now result in an error instead of being silently ignored.
- fix #625: project registration is now optional. A file upload with twine or setuptools will automatically register the project.
- fix #636: support ignore_bases argument for project listings.
- support :AUTHENTICATED: for permissions. This resolves to any user which is logged in, regardless of username or groups.
- added experimental support for stage customizers to let plugins add index types with customized behaviour. See BaseStageCustomizer in model.py for the API and devpiserver_get_stage_customizer_classes for the registration.
- support no_projects argument for index json requests. The list of projects will not be added to the result.
- when credentials for the user are rejected, the error message now says so instead of claiming the user could not be found.
- boolean values can now only be set via the following values: ‘false’, ‘no’, ‘true’, ‘yes’ and actual booleans in the REST API. Before any string not matching ‘false’ and ‘no’ was converted into boolean true.
- the default logging configuration now outputs to stdout instead of stderr.
- major releases don’t require an export/import cycle anymore except when explicitly announced. You should always make a backup though! When upgrading to devpi-server 5.0.0 you can keep the state as is and even downgrade to the last 4.9.x release if necessary. Don’t forget to backup before upgrades!
- the server secret isn’t automatically persisted for new installations. A server restart invalidates login tokens. An existing installation will still use it’s stored secret, but log a warning. Use --secretfile to explicitly specify a persistent secret file.
- the --storage option is now required when a storage plugin like devpi-postgresql is in use. It’s recommended to use a configuration file for devpi-server to have everything in one place (see --configfile).
- for the --logger-cfg yaml loading we now use safe_load of ruamel.yaml instead of load from pyyaml.
- implement #93: When creating a user, the password hash can be set directly with pwhash. Upon database initialization allow setting root user password with --root-passwd and the password hash with --root-passwd-hash options. Thanks to Andreas Palsson.
- decouple devpi server version from database version to enable major releases that do not require export import of data
- support --hard-links option during import for releases and doc zips.
- added new endpoint to download multiple changelog entries at once. This will be used for faster replication in the future.
- add option --replica-file-search-path to point to existing files. If a match is found it will be copied locally instead of fetched from the master. These files could be from a previous replication attempt or separately copied/restored.
- add --hard-links support for replicas together with the --replica-file-search-path option. When a matching file is found it’s hard linked instead of writing a copy.
- fix multiple triggering of mirror project names initialization.
- fix updating time stamp of mirror project name cache when no project names have changed. This makes subsequent fetches actually use the cache instead of always fetching the data again from the mirror.
- use timeout when waiting for data from master in replica on mirror simple pages.
- slightly improved replica performance by removing unnecessary DB read and using fewer transactions.
- fix #520: uploads work with and without a trailing slash for the index url.
- fix #597: handle ConnectionError in httpget
- fix #615: setting of mirror index options with server side patching didn’t work
feature #193: ensuring that the description_content_type and provides_extras fields are handled.
This is used to add support for using alternative content types in the package descriptions such as text/markdown.
The PATCH method of indexes supports a list of arguments with operations in the form of key=value for setting values and for lists in the form of key+=value and key-=value to add and remove items. This prevents undoing changes sent in concurrent PATCH requests.
fix #598: streaming download now uses BytesIO to avoid performance issues for downloads with more than a few MB.
Thanks to Dom Hudson from http://www.thoughtriver.com for the report and initial benchmark code.
handle mirrors that don’t return a correct X-PYPI-LAST-SERIAL header.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|devpi_server-5.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (202.2 kB) View hashes||Wheel||2.7|
|devpi-server-5.1.0.tar.gz (196.4 kB) View hashes||Source||None|
Hashes for devpi_server-5.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl