devpi: github-style pypi index server and packaging meta tool.
devpi is a meta package installing two other packages:
- devpi-server: for serving a pypi.python.org consistent caching index as well as local github-style overlay indexes.
- devpi-client: command line tool with sub commands for creating users, using indexes, uploading to and installing from indexes, as well as a “test” command for invoking tox.
For getting started see http://doc.devpi.net/
Holger Krekel, August 2013
- systematically test pypi/mirror code against all 34K pypi projects so that we know that all http/https installable archive links that pypi offers are correctly recognized by devpi-server’s root/pypi index.
- if no pypi mirror state is known, devpi-server now calls pypi to obtain names/serials. It will fail to start if no such initial connection is possible. Once a first mirror state is known, subsequent devpi-server starts will not perform this initial query.
- speed up and make more reliable all operations on private packages which have no pypi.python.org release: we can now determine if a project exists on pypi and under which name exactly without remote queries or redirects to pypi.python.org.
- fix issue45: register/upload package names are now properly validated and redirects take place if e.g. a project was registered as “name-sub” and “+simple/name_sub” is queried.
- new –upgrade-state command to allow for easy and safe in-place upgrading of server state. This is not guranteed to be possible for all future releases which might require using –export with an older version and –import with a newer version.
- new –export/–import options to dump and import server contents: users, indexes, docs, release files and (test) attachments. Note that root/pypi (PyPI-caching information) will not be exported/imported. (maybe in the future if there is demand).
- fix issue49: both push and import/export now support docfiles. Note, however, that docfiles relate to a project as a whole and are not tied to a particular version. This property is inherited from the PyPI standard upload_docs action and cannot be changed without interfering or replacing the upload_docs protocol of setuptools/sphinx.
- fix issue51: return 200 code if release file is successfully uploaded but jenkins could not be triggered (previously returned 500)
- reject simple/NAME if NAME contains non-ascii characters (PEP426 naming rules)
- devpi-server now returns a X-DEVPI-API-VERSION and X-DEVPI-SERVER-VERSION header. For future incompatible changes these versions allow clients to reject interactions.
- also add “.serverversion” file and write it if it does not exist, and make devpi-server use it to verify if operating on a compatible server data layout, otherwise bail out.
- address issue43: –gendeploy now uses pip without –pre and explicitely instructs pip to install the exact same version of devpi-server with which –gendeploy is issued.
- fix issue46 – for GET /root/pypi/ only show a link to the simple page instead of computing “latest in-stage packages” which is only useful for devpi’s user indices.
- fix issue37: upload with expired login causes proper 401
- detect “X-DEVPI-API-VERSION” header and check for compatibility. devpi-client currently supports version “1” and warns if no version is known (defaulting to “1”).
- getjson now prints http reply headers if “-v|–verbose” was supplied.
- fix issue52: add “–no-vcs” option to force “devpi upload” to not vcs-export files before executing build/upload
- fix issue50: introduce “–toxargs” to “devpi test” invocations in order to add arbitrary arguments to tox.
- fix issue43: set PIP_PRE environment variable when executing “devpi install …” so that the behaviour between pip < 1.4 and >= 1.4 is normalized to always install development versions.
- fix issue47: set PIP_USE_WHEEL with “devpi install …” so that it will automatically pick up wheel files if pip>1.4 is used.
- fix issue42: allow to set empty bases for an index, so that it doesn’t inherit anything.
- fix issue44: “use -l” doesn’t break when a user has no index
- devpi test now invokes tox in-process (by importing tox) rather than a subprocess.
- rename “–datadir” to “–serverdir” to better match the also picked up DEVPI_SERVERDIR environment variable.
- fix a strange effect in that sometimes tools ask to receive a package url with a “#md5=…” arriving at the server side. We now strip that part out before trying to serve the file.
- on startup don’t create any initial indexes other than the “root/pypi” pypi caching mirror.
- introduce --start, --stop and --log commands for controling a background devpi-server run. (these commands previously were implemented with the devpi-client and the “server” sub command)
- fix issue27: provide full list of pypi names in root/pypi’s simple view (and simple pages from inheriting indices)
- default to “eventlet” server when creating deployment with –gendeploy
- fix issue25: return 403 Forbidden when trying to delete the root user.
- fix name mangling issue for pypi-cache: “project_name*” is now matched correctly when a lookup for “project-name” happens.
- fix issue22: don’t bypass CDN by default, rather provide an “–bypass-cdn” option to do it (in case you have cache-invalidation troubles)
- fix issue20 and fix issue23: normalize index specs internally (“/root/dev” -> “root/dev”) and check if base indices exist.
- add Jenkins build job triggering for running the tests for a package through tox.
- inheritance cleanup: inherited versions for a project are now shadowed and not shown anymore with getreleaselinks() or in +simple pages if the “basename” is exactly shadowed.
- fix issue16: enrich projectconfig json with a “+shadow” file which lists shadowed “versions”
- initial wheel support: accept “whl” uploads and support caching of whl files from pypi.python.org
- implemented internal push operation between devpi indexes
- show “docs” link if documentation has been uploaded
- pushing releases to pypi.python.org will now correctly report the filetype/pyversion in the metadata.
- add setting of acl_upload for indexes. Only the owning user and acl_upload users may upload releases, files or documentation to an index.
- add –passwd USER option for setting a user’s password server-side
- don’t require email setting for creating users
- removed server subcommand and options for controling background devpi-server processes to become options of devpi-server itself.
- fix issue14: lookup “python” from PATH for upload/packaging activities instead of using “sys.executable” which comes from the interpreter executing the “devpi” script. This allows to alias “devpi” to come from a virtualenv which is separate from the one used to perform packaging.
- fix issue35: “devpi index” cleanly errors out if no index is specified or in use.
- remember authentication on a per-root basis and cleanup “devpi use” interactions. This makes switching between multiple devpi instances more seemless.
- fix issue17: better reporting when “devpi use” does not operate on valid URL
- test result upload and access: “devpi test” invokes “tox –result-json …” and uploads the test result log to devpi-server. “devpi list [-f] PKG” shows test result information.
- add “uploadtrigger_jenkins” configuration option through “devpi index”.
- fix issue19: devpi use now memorizes –venv setting properly. Thanks Laurent.
- fix issue16: show files from shadowed versions
- initial wheel support: “devpi upload –format=bdist_wheel” now uploads a wheel format file to the index. (XXX “devpi install” will trigger pip commands with option “–use-wheels”.)
- fix issue15: docs will now be built via “setup.py build_sphinx” using a internal build dir so that the upload succeeds if conf.py would otherwise specify a non-standard location.
- implement and refine “devpi push” command. It now accepts two forms “user/name” for specifying an internal devpi index and “pypi:REPONAME” for specifying a repository which must be defined in a .pypirc file.
- remove spurious pdb.set_trace() in devpi install command when no pip can be found.
- show and allow to set “acl_upload” for uploading priviliges
- add longer descriptions to each sub command, shown with “devpi COMMAND -h”.
- removed pytestplugin support for now (pytest reporting directly to devpi-server)
- fix issue where lookups into subpages of the simple index (simple/NAME/VER) would not trigger a 404 as they should.
- fix uploading by adding setup.py’s dir to sys.path: setup.py files that import modules/packages for obtaining versions etc. now work. Thanks jbasko.
- fix automatic devpi-server startup on python26/windows
- fixed issue9: caching of packages where upstream provides no last-modified header now works.
- fixed issue8: only http/https archives are allowed and other schemes (such as ftp) are silently skipped
- added support for REST DELETE methods of projects and versions on an index
- added “argcomplete” support for tab completion on options (thanks to Anthon van der Neut)
- new “devpi list” command to show projects of the in-use index or all release files of a project with “devpi list PROJECTNAME”.
- new “devpi remove” command to remove releases from the current index, including any contained release files
- added “argcomplete” support for tab completion on options (thanks to Anthon van der Neut)
0.9.2 (compared to 0.9.1)
- fix /USER/INDEXNAME root views to contain only latest in-stage packages
- make +api calls return bases so that “devpi use” can show them
- introduce “devpi upload –fromdir” for uploading archives in bulk mode, thanks to Anthon van der Neut for helping with this! (resolved issue5)
- improve automatic server handling via “devpi use”
- for “devpi server” you now need to specify “–log” to see log lines
- make “devpi use” also show base indexes by default
- fix issue4: auto-server data stored in non-dot dir
0.9.1 (compared to 0.9.0)
- return 404 for submits to root/pypi
- properly sorted release file links on stage indexes
- “push” method on indexes for transfering release files to another pypi index
- properly handle urls from indexes with ~ and other special chars
- fix root/pypi and root/dev page serving in various cases
- refined “python setup.py” calls from devpi upload with proper __file__ attributes. Thanks Andi Albrecht.
- implemented new “devpi push” command for pushing out releases
- improved error handling for devpi upload
- fix logoff if not logged in
- don’t use –force-reinstall when using pip
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size devpi-1.1.tar.gz (7.2 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|