Alternative to Python's module `cgitb` with template inspired by Nette and Django
Module for logging of detailed traceback as HTML page. Unexpected exceptions are catched and logged for further audit. Exceptions in diagnostic’s exception handler are properly handled and logged (but formatted only as standard Python traceback). Usage is simple as code below.
from diagnostics import exception_hook if __name__ == '__main__': # you have to create "log/" directory next to file that is your main module exception_hook.enable()
from diagnostics import exception_hook from diagnostics.storages import FileStorage if __name__ == '__main__': # or simply set your own storage directory_path = "/path/to/your/log/directory/with/html/tracebacks" exception_hook.enable(storage=FileStorage(directory_path))
from diagnostics import exception_hook if __name__ == '__main__': with exception_hook: try_do_risky_job(...)
There is even support for logging in diagnostics. Class diagnostics.logging.FileHandler creates files with detailed traceback and log messages are appended to the file info.log in directory with logged tracebacks.
import logging from diagnostics import exception_hook from diagnostics.logging import FileHandler if __name__ == '__main__': file_path = "/path/to/log/directory/with/html/tracebacks/info.log" log_handler = FileHandler(file_path) exception_hook.enable_for_logger(logging.getLogger(), handler=log_handler) try: try_do_risky_job(...) except: logging.exception("Risky job failed")
import logging from diagnostics import exception_hook from diagnostics.logging import FileHandler if __name__ == '__main__': file_path = "/path/to/log/directory/with/html/tracebacks/info.log" log_handler = FileHandler(file_path) exception_hook.enable_for_logger("example_logger", handler=log_handler) try: try_do_risky_job(...) except: logger = logging.getLogger("example_logger") logger.error("Error occured", exc_info=True)
pip install diagnostics
or from git repo
pip install git+git://github.com/miso-belica/diagnostics.git
Run tests via
$ nosetests-2.6 && nosetests-3.2 && nosetests-2.7 && nosetests-3.3
Changelog for diagnostics module
- BUG FIX: Context code is rendered with correct line number even when exception is raised from with-statement block.
- BUG FIX: Added time and logging level name into log messages.
- BUG FIX: Fixed usage in terminal.
- BUG FIX: Fixed reading of JS/CSS file in Python 3. HTML traceback is properly rendered.
- FEATURE: Removed empty trailing lines from context code.
- BUG FIX: Removed duplicated global variables from list of local variables.
- BUG FIX: Don’t show types/modules/functions in list of local variables.
- BUG FIX: Removed class types, modules and other crap from list of global variables.
- BUG FIX: Function/method variables are ordered according to function/method signature.
- FEATURE: The same exceptions are stored only once (according to their hash).
- BUG FIX: Recover when converting object to unicode raises exception (e.g. BeautifulSoup).
- BUG FIX: Format code context even if code is in binary form (e.g. lxml).
- BUG FIX: Use repr function when instance can’t be de/en-coded to the unicode/bytes.
- BUG FIX: Tracebacks with the same type of exception and timestamp are stored to different files.
- FEATURE: Added support for with statement.
- FEATURE: Added logging support.
- First public release.