A file streaming application for Django
Django file streaming application to provide download links without showing the real path to the served file. The links can be set to expire by date or by clicks. It is also possible to use it for counting clicks on a download link.
New BSD license
- Tested with Django 1.2 / 1.3 / 1.4
- Example project is included (configured for Django 1.4)
- Link expires by clicks (optional)
- Link expires by time (optional)
- Is usable for counting clicks
- This app
- Django itself, its redirects from django.contrib and its locale middleware.
Installation with pip (recommended)
Pip will download and install the package and take care of all the dependences. If you havn’t pip on your system then install setuptools first after that run “easy_install pip”. After that you can use pip in your terminal window.
Use the stable release (recommended):pip install django-dynamic-link
Or the development version:pip install -e hg+https://bitbucket.org/catapela/django-dynamic-link/#egg=django-dynamic-link
With pip you can also uninstall:pip uninstall django-dynamic-link
other Installation methodesFirst of all download the package from pypi (stable) or bitbucket (development). Find a download location here.
Either copy the sources in your project root
- Unpack your package.
- Copy the folder “dynamic_link” in your project root.
- Make sure all package dependences are fulfilled.
Or use setup.py
- Unpack your package.
- Open a terminal and change to the folder which contains the setup.py and typepython setup.py install
test your installation
Go to console and type:python
… then type:>>> import dynamicLink >>> dynamicLink.CKINST() >>> dynamicLink.VERSION >>> dynamicLInk.REQUIRES >>> help(dynamicLink) >>> exit()
Add “dynamicLink” to you installed apps in the settings file.
Make sure that:
- ‘django.middleware.locale.LocaleMiddleware’, is in your MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES.
- Your Admin is enabled (‘django.contrib.admin’, is in your INSTALLED_APPS).
- ‘django.contrib.auth.context_processors.auth’, (also for admin) is in TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS.
- ‘django.core.context_processors.request’, is in TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS.
Add the following to your urls.py:
- from dynamicLink import presettings
- (r’^w+/%s/’ % presettings.DYNAMIC_LINK_URL_BASE_COMPONENT, include(‘dynamicLink.urls’)),
Finally run:python manage.py syncdb python manage.py runserver
Make it custom
Use the global settings.py in your projects root to overwrite the applications presettings with the following variables.
- Default: settings.MEDIA_ROOT
- A path to a directory. From this point you can walk down the subdirectories to choose your files to serve.
- Default: ‘serve’
- A string that modifies your url serve path.
- Example: www.example.com/DYNAMIC_LINK_URL_BASE_COMPONENT/link/3839hd8HKl3/example.zip.
Open the admin interface and go to “Dynamiclink” section. The rest should be self-explanatory.
- Zero value for link age means never expires.
- Zero value for clicks means unlimited clicks.
- If a link never expires you can use it for click counting.
- Trough the action menu you can serve a site with several links.
- The filename from the created links are only for human readability. You can delete or change these filenames in any way you want.
djang-dynamic-links ships with an example proect.
- First you need the example project folder which is shipped within the package. See the “other Installation methodes” section above to find out where to download it.
- After you got the desired package install it (see install section).
- Next you have to extract the example folder within the package to any location you want.
- Open a terminal and change directory into the previous extracted example foldercd /path/to/example
- After that runpython manage.py syncdb python manage.py runserver
- Finaly open a Browser and go to: http://127.0.0.1:8000/