Group accounts for Django
|Info:||Groups and multi-user account management|
|Author:||Ben Lopatin (http://benlopatin.com)|
Add user-managed, multi-user groups to your Django project. Use django-organizations whether your site needs organizations that function like social groups or multi-user account objects to provide account and subscription functionality beyond the individual user.
- Relies on django.contrib.auth and does not add or require additional user or authentication functionality
- Users can be belong to and own more than one organization (account, group)
- Invitation and registration functionality is designed to be flexible to allow you to integrate existing invitation and registration apps
First add the application to your Python path. The easiest way is to use pip:
pip install django-organizations
You should install by downloading the source and running:
$ python setup.py install
Make sure you have django.contrib.auth installed, and add the organizations application to your INSTALLED_APPS list:
INSTALLED_APPS = ( ... 'django.contrib.auth', 'organizations', )
Then ensure that your project URL conf is updated. You should hook in the main application URL conf as well as your chosen invitation backend URLs:
from organizations.backends import invitation_backend urlpatterns = patterns('', ... url(r'^accounts/', include('organizations.urls')), url(r'^invitations/', include(invitation_backend().get_urls())), )
You can specify a different invitation backend in your project settings, and the invitation_backend function will provide the URLs defined by that backend:
ORGS_INVITATION_BACKEND = 'myapp.backends.MyInvitationBackend'
For most use cases it should be sufficient to include the app views directly using the default URL conf file. You can customize their functionality or access controls by extending the base views.
There are three models:
- Organization The group object. This is what you would associate your own app’s functionality with, e.g. subscriptions, repositories, projects, etc.
- OrganizationUser A custom through model for the ManyToMany relationship between the Organization model and the User model. It stores additional information about the user specific to the organization and provides a convenient link for organization ownership.
- OrganizationOwner The user with rights over the life and death of the organization. This is a one to one relationship with the OrganizationUser model. This allows User objects to own multiple organizations and makes it easy to enforce ownership from within the organization’s membership.
The underlying organizations API is simple:
>>> chris = User.objects.get(username="chris") >>> soundgarden = create_organization(chris, "Soundgarden") >>> soundgarden.is_user(chris) True >>> soundgarden.is_admin(chris) True >>> soundgarden.owner.organization_user <OrganizationUser: Chris Cornell> >>> soundgarden.owner.organization_user.user >>> <User: chris> >>> audioslave = create_organization(chris, "Audioslave") >>> tom = User.objects.get(username="tom") >>> audioslave.add_user(tom, is_admin=True) <OrganizationUser: Tom Morello>
Each organization can have only one owner, however a site user can be a member of multiple organizations, or own multiple organizations. The OrganizationUser model servers as an intermediary between the Organization and the Users to allow this.
Development & Contributing
Development is on-going. To-do items have been moved to the wiki for the time being.
The basic functionality should not need much extending. Current dev priorities for me and contributors should include:
- Improving the tests and test coverage (ideally moving them back out of the main module and executable using the setup.py file)
- Improving the backends and backends concept so that additional invitation and registration backends can be used
- Ensuring all application text is translatable
Please use the project’s issues tracker to report bugs. Thanks!
django-organizations should be backend agnostic:
- Authentication agnostic
- Registration agnostic
- Invitation agnostic
- User messaging agnostic
Anyone is free to use or modify this software under ther terms of the BSD license.