history compare for django-reversion
django-reversion-compare is an extension to django-reversion that provides a history compare view to compare two versions of a model which is under reversion.
Comparing model versions is not a easy task. Maybe there are different view how this should looks like. This project will gives you a generic way to see whats has been changed.
Many parts are customizable by overwrite methods or subclassing, see above.
pip install django-reversion-compare
Add reversion_compare to INSTALLED_APPS in your settings.py, e.g.:
INSTALLED_APPS = ( 'django...', ... 'reversion', # https://github.com/etianen/django-reversion 'reversion_compare', # https://github.com/jedie/django-reversion-compare ... ) # Add reversion models to admin interface: ADD_REVERSION_ADMIN=True # optional settings: REVERSION_COMPARE_FOREIGN_OBJECTS_AS_ID=False REVERSION_COMPARE_IGNORE_NOT_REGISTERED=False
Inherit from CompareVersionAdmin instead of VersionAdmin to get the comparison feature.
from django.contrib import admin from reversion_compare.admin import CompareVersionAdmin from my_app.models import ExampleModel @admin.register(ExampleModel) class ExampleModelAdmin(CompareVersionAdmin): pass
If you’re using an existing third party app, then you can add patch django-reversion-compare into its admin class by using the reversion_compare.helpers.patch_admin() method. For example, to add version control to the built-in User model:
from reversion_compare.helpers import patch_admin patch_admin(User)
e.g.: Add django-cms Page model:
from cms.models.pagemodel import Page from reversion_compare.helpers import patch_admin # Patch django-cms Page Model to add reversion-compare functionality: patch_admin(Page)
It’s possible to change the look for every field or for a entire field type. You must only define a methods to your admin class with this name scheme:
- "compare_%s" % field_name
- "compare_%s" % field.get_internal_type()
If there is no method with this name scheme, the fallback_compare() method will be used.
An example for specifying a compare method for a model field by name:
class YourAdmin(CompareVersionAdmin): def compare_foo_bar(self, obj_compare): """ compare the foo_bar model field """ return "%r <-> %r" % (obj_compare.value1, obj_compare.value2)
and example using patch_admin with custom version admin class:
Class Based View
Beyond the Admin views, you can also create a Class Based View for displaying and comparing version differences. This is a single class-based-view that either displays the list of versions to select for an object or displays both the versions and their differences (if the versions to be compared have been selected). This class can be used just like a normal DetailView:
More information about this can be found in DocString of:
The make run-test-server test project contains a Demo, use the links under:
Here some screenshots of django-reversion-compare:
How to select the versions to compare:
from v0.1.0: DateTimeField compare (last update), TextField compare (content) with small changes and a ForeignKey compare (child model instance was added):
from v0.1.0: Same as above, but the are more lines changed in TextField and the ForeignKey relation was removed:
Example screenshot from v0.3.0: a many-to-many field compare (friends, hobbies):
- In the first line, the m2m object has been changed.
- line 2: A m2m object was deleted
- line 3: A m2m object was removed from this entry (but not deleted)
- line 4: This m2m object has not changed
create developer environment
# Clone project (Use your fork SSH url!): ~$ git clone https://github.com/jedie/django-reversion-compare.git ~$ cd django-reversion-compare ~/django-reversion-compare$ make install ~/django-reversion-compare$ make help List all commands install-poetry install or update poetry via pip install install via poetry update Update the dependencies as according to the pyproject.toml file lint Run code formatters and linter fix-code-style Fix code formatting pyupgrade Run pyupgrade tox-listenvs List all tox test environments tox Run pytest via tox with all environments pytest Run pytest update-rst-readme update README.rst from README.creole publish Release new version to PyPi run-test-server Start Django dev server with the test project makemessages Make and compile locales message files
Helpful for writing and debugging unittests is to run a local test server with the same data. e.g.:
~/django-reversion-compare$ make run-test-server
migration will be run.
Call manage commands from test project, e.g.:
~/django-reversion-compare$ poetry shell django-reversion-compare-foobar-py3.6) ~/django-reversion-compare$ ./reversion_compare_tests/manage.py --help ...
Google “diff-match-patch” is now mandatory and not optional.
|>=v0.15.0||v3.0||v2.2, v3.2, v4.0||v3.7, v3.8, v3.9|
|>=v0.13.0||v3.0||v2.2, v3.0, v3.1||v3.7, v3.8, v3.9|
|>=v0.10.0||v3.0||v2.2, v3.0||v3.6, v3.7, v3.8, pypy3|
|>=v0.9.0||v2.0||v2.2, v3.0||v3.6, v3.7, v3.8, pypy3|
|>=v0.8.6||v2.0||v1.11, v2.0||v3.5, v3.6, v3.7, pypy3|
|>=v0.8.4||v2.0||v1.8, v1.11, v2.0||v3.5, v3.6, pypy3|
|>=v0.8.3||v2.0||v1.8, v1.11||v3.5, v3.6, pypy3|
|v0.8.x||v2.0||v1.8, v1.10, v1.11||v2.7, v3.4, v3.5, v3.6 (only with Django 1.11)|
|>=v0.7.2||v2.0||v1.8, v1.9, v1.10||v2.7, v3.4, v3.5|
|v0.7.x||v2.0||v1.8, v1.9||v2.7, v3.4, v3.5|
|v0.6.x||v1.9, v1.10||v1.8, v1.9||v2.7, v3.4, v3.5|
|>=v0.5.2||v1.9||v1.7, v1.8||v2.7, v3.4|
These are the unittests variants. See also: /pyproject.toml Maybe other versions are compatible, too.
v0.15.0 - 27.01.2022 compare v0.14.1…v0.15.0
- Bugfix model choice fields (e.g.: django-countries fields)
- Update project and run tests with Django v2.2, v3.2 and v4.0
- Remove temp file usage in test project
v0.14.1 - 19.07.2021 compare v0.14.0…v0.14.1
- Enable Diff-Match-Patch “checklines” mode for better diffs
- Speed up Revision/Version admin
v0.14.0 - 24.02.2021 compare v0.13.1…v0.14.0
v0.13.1 - 04.02.2021 compare v0.13.0…v0.13.1
v0.13.0 - 23.12.2020 compare v0.12.2…v0.13.0
- Support Django v3.1
- Stop running test with Python 3.6 and pypy3
- Activate django-debug-toolbar in test project
- code style (e.g.: f-strings) and remove some warnings in test project
- some project setup updates (e.g.: fix Python and Django version restrictions)
v0.12.2 - 24.03.2020 compare v0.12.1…v0.12.2
- Added revert button on compare view, contributed by jjarthur
v0.12.1 - 20.03.2020 compare v0.12.0…v0.12.1
- Bugfix: Django 3.0 compatibility by change project dependencies, contributed by maxocub
- Test project used a “auto login test user” middleware
- Test project rename django admin title and branding
v0.12.0 - 12.03.2020 compare v0.11.0…v0.12.0
- google-diff-match-patch is now mandatory!
- Diff html code are now unified to <pre class="highlight">...</pre>
- Bugfix make run-test-server
- Switch between Google “diff-match-patch” and difflib.ndiff() by size: ndiff makes more human readable diffs with small values.
v0.11.0 - 12.03.2020 compare v0.10.0…v0.11.0
CHANGE output of diff generated with “diff-match-patch”:
- cleanup html by implement a own html pretty function instead of diff_match_patch.diff_prettyHtml usage
- The html is now simmilar to the difflib usage output and doesn’t contain inline styles
Add “diff-match-patch” as optional dependencies in poetry config
Bugfix Django requirements
code cleanup and update tests
v0.10.0 - 19.02.2020 compare v0.9.1…v0.10.0
- less restricted dependency specification see: issues #120
- run tests with latest django-reversion version (currently v3.x)
v0.9.1 - 16.02.2020 compare v0.9.0…v0.9.1
- Modernize project setup and use poetry
- Apply pyupgrade and fix/update some f-strings
- Update test project
v0.9.0 - 19.01.2020 compare v0.8.7…v0.9.0
Test with Python 3.8 and Django 3.0, too.
Run tests via github actions, too.
Remove support for Python 3.5 and Django v1.11
actually check if model is registered #115 contributed by willtho89
Remove python2 compatibility decorators #113 contributed by jeremy-engel
Show username and full name from custom user model #112 contributed by berekuk
Fix django-suit NoneType is not iterable #111 contributed by creativequality
convert old format to f-strings via flynt
- sort imports with isort
- apply autopep8
- lint code in CI with flake8, isort and flynt
v0.8.7 - 06.01.2020 compare v0.8.6…v0.8.7
- Add new optional settings REVERSION_COMPARE_IGNORE_NOT_REGISTERED, see: issues #103
- reformat code with ‘black’
- some code cleanup
v0.8.6 - 04.01.2019 compare v0.8.5…v0.8.6
- Bugfix: Use “.pk” instead of “.id” when referring to related object. contributed by Peter Lisák
- Run tests: Skip Django v1.8 and add Python v3.7
v0.8.5 - 13.09.2018 compare v0.8.4…v0.8.5
v0.8.4 - 15.03.2018 compare v0.8.3…v0.8.4
v0.8.3 - 21.12.2017 compare v0.8.2…v0.8.3
- refactor travis/tox/pytest/coverage stuff
- Tests can be run via python3 setup.py tox and/or python3 setup.py test
- Test also with pypy3 on Travis CI.
- Run tests with Django v1.11 and drop tests with Django v1.9
- Add Django v1.10 support
- Added choices field representation #63 contributed by amureki
- Check if related model has an integer as pk for ManyToMany fields. #64 contributed by logaritmisk
- Added Dutch translation contributed by Sae X
- Add support for Django 1.9
- Nicer boolean compare: #57
- Fix #58 compare followed reverse foreign relation fields that are on a non-abstract parent class contributed by LegoStormtroopr
- NEW: Class-Based-View to create non-admin views and greek translation contributed by Serafeim Papastefanos.
- UnboundLocalError (‘version’) when creating deleted list in get_many_to_something() #41
- One to one field custom related name fix #42 (contributed by frwickst and aemdy)
- Update admin.py to avoid RemovedInDjango19Warning (contributed by luzfcb)
- activate previous/next links and add unitests for them
- refactory unittests, test with Django v1.7 and Python 2.7 & 3.4
- Updates for django 1.7 support
- Add settings.ADD_REVERSION_ADMIN
v0.3.5 - 03.01.2013:
- Remove date from version string. issues 9
v0.3.4 - 20.06.2012:
v0.3.3 - 11.06.2012:
- Bugfix “ValueError: zero length field name in format” with Python 2.6 issues 5
v0.3.2 - 04.06.2012:
- Bugfix for Python 2.6 in unified_diff(), see: AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘_format_range_unified’
v0.3.1 - 01.06.2012:
- Bugfix: force unicode in html diff
- Bugfix in unittests
v0.3.0 - 16.05.2012:
- Enhanced handling of m2m changes with follow and non-follow relations.
v0.2.2 - 15.05.2012:
- Compare many-to-many in the right way.
v0.2.1 - 10.05.2012:
- Bugfix for models which has no m2m field: https://github.com/jedie/django-reversion-compare/commit/c8e042945a6e78e5540b6ae27666f9b0cfc94880
v0.2.0 - 09.05.2012:
- many-to-many compare works, too.
v0.1.0 - 08.05.2012:
- First release
v0.0.1 - 08.05.2012:
- collect all compare stuff from old “diff” branch
- see also: https://github.com/etianen/django-reversion/issues/147
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for django-reversion-compare-0.15.0.tar.gz
Hashes for django_reversion_compare-0.15.0-py3-none-any.whl