A flexible & capable API layer for Django.
Creating delicious APIs for Django apps since 2010.
Currently in beta (v1.0.0-beta) but being used actively in production on several sites.
What’s It Look Like?
A basic example looks like:
# myapp/api.py # ============ from tastypie.resources import ModelResource from myapp.models import Entry class EntryResource(ModelResource): class Meta: queryset = Entry.objects.all() # urls.py # ======= from django.conf.urls.defaults import * from tastypie.api import Api from myapp.api import EntryResource v1_api = Api(api_name='v1') v1_api.register(EntryResource()) urlpatterns = patterns('', # The normal jazz here then... (r'^api/', include(v1_api.urls)), )
That gets you a fully working, read-write API for the Entry model that supports all CRUD operations in a RESTful way. JSON/XML/YAML support is already there, and it’s easy to add related data/authentication/caching.
You can find more in the documentation at http://django-tastypie.readthedocs.org/.
There are other, better known API frameworks out there for Django. You need to assess the options available and decide for yourself. That said, here are some common reasons for tastypie.
- You need an API that is RESTful and uses HTTP well.
- You want to support deep relations.
- You DON’T want to have to write your own serializer to make the output right.
- You want an API framework that has little magic, very flexible and maps well to the problem domain.
- You want/need XML serialization that is treated equally to JSON (and YAML is there too).
- You want to support my perceived NIH syndrome, which is less about NIH and more about trying to help out friends/coworkers.
- http://github.com/toastdriven/django-tastypie/tree/master/tests/basic shows basic usage of tastypie
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size django-tastypie-0.9.11.tar.gz (519.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|