Websocket support for Django using Redis as datastore
Project home: https://github.com/jrief/django-websocket-redis
Detailed documentation on ReadTheDocs.
Websockets for Django using Redis as message queue
This module implements websockets on top of Django without requiring any additional framework. For messaging it uses the Redis datastore and in a production environment, it is intended to work under uWSGI and behind NGiNX.
New in 0.4.0
- Messages can be sent to users being member of one or more Django groups.
- Simplified the usage of RedisPublisher and RedisSubscriber to make the API more consistent.
- Added the possibility to receive heartbeats.
- Added a context processor to inject some settings from ws4redis into templates.
- Largely scalable for Django applications with hundreds of open websocket connections.
- Runs in a cooperative concurrency model using gevent, thus only one thread/process is simultaneously required to control all open websockets.
- Full control over the main loop during development, so Django can be started as usual with ./manage.py runserver.
- No dependency to any other asynchronous event driven framework, such as Tornado, Twisted or Node.js.
- Optionally persiting messages, allowing server reboots and client reconnections.
- The only additional requirement is a running instance of Redis, which by the way is a good replacement for memcached.
If unsure, if this proposed architecture is the correct approach on how to integrate websockets with Django, then please read Roberto De Ioris article about Offloading Websockets and Server-Sent Events AKA “Combine them with Django safely”.
Please use the issue tracker to ask questions.
Copyright © 2014 Jacob Rief. Licensed under the MIT license.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size django-websocket-redis-0.4.1.tar.gz (16.2 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for django-websocket-redis-0.4.1.tar.gz