Official Dropbox REST API Client
A Python library for Dropbox’s HTTP-based Core and Datastore APIs.
You can install this package using ‘pip’:
$ pip install dropbox
Getting a Dropbox API key
You need a Dropbox API key to make API requests.
- Go to https://dropbox.com/developers/apps.
- If you’ve already registered an app, click on the “Options” link to see the app’s API key and secret.
- Otherwise, click “Create an app” to register an app. Choose “Dropbox API” with datastore and/or file permissions depending on your needs. See https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference#app-permissions.
Using the Dropbox API
Before your app can access a Dropbox user’s files, the user must authorize your application using OAuth 2. Successfully completing this authorization flow gives you an “access token” for the user’s Dropbox account, which grants you the ability to make Dropbox API calls to access their files.
- Authorization example for a web app: example/flask_app/
- Authorization example for a command-line tool: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/start/python
Once you have an access token, create a DropboxClient instance and start making API calls.
You only need to perform the authorization process once per user. Once you have an access token for a user, save it somewhere persistent, like in a database. The next time that user visits your app, you can skip the authorization process and go straight to making API calls.
Running the Examples
There are example programs in the “example” folder. Before you can run an example, you need to edit the “.py” file and put your Dropbox API app key and secret in the “APP_KEY” and “APP_SECRET” constants.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size dropbox-2.0.0-py2.7.egg (186.4 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 2.7||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size dropbox-2.0.0.zip (680.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|