Core models and views for OpenBlock (hyperlocal news for Django)
A Django application that provides hyperlocal news.
This package is part of OpenBlock. Originally developed for EveryBlock.com.
Problems can be reported to the issue tracker.
Discussion is on the ebcode google group or the #openblock channel on freenode.
Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3, except where otherwise noted.
Do not just try to easy_install or pip install ebpub. It has a lot of specific dependencies which can’t/shouldn’t be captured by setup.py.
Instead, see the full documentation at http://openblockproject.org/docs/install/index.html which includes links to pip requirements files and instructions on preparing your system.
OpenBlock is a web application that allows users to browse and search their local area for “hyper-local news” - to see what’s going on recently in the immediate geographic area.
For installation instructions and other documentation, see http://openblockproject.org/docs/ (or the .rst files in the docs/ directory).
For help, you can try the ebcode group: http://groups.google.com/group/ebcode or look for us in the #openblock IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.
About the Project
OpenBlock began life as the open-source code released by Everyblock.com in June 2009. Originally created by Adrian Holovaty and the Everyblock team, it is now developed as an open-source (GPL) project by at http://openblockproject.org.
Funding for the initial creation of Everyblock and the ongoing development of OpenBlock has been provided by the Knight Foundation (http://www.knightfoundation.org/).
OpenBlock 1.0.0 (August 30, 2011)
(This is largely unchanged from OpenBlock 1.0-beta1, so this is just a repeat of the release notes from that version, modulo a few small bug fixes.)
If you originally installed, or already upgraded to, OpenBlock 1.0 Beta, you may skip the rest of this section.
If you have an existing database that was built with 1.0a1 or earlier, you’ll need to run this command to deal with the removal of the “django-apikey” dependency:
django-admin.py migrate apikey 0001 --fake
Many data-loading scripts that were scattered all over the source tree are now installed into your environment’s bin directory, so they should be on your $PATH. Documentation has been updated accordingly.
As usual, you should always run after upgrading:
django-admin.py syncdb --migrate
If you were unlucky and had last migrated with a git checkout including migrations that later got renamed or removed, you may get errors from migrating. In that case try adding the --delete-ghost-migrations option.
Alias /olwidget/ /home/openblock/openblock/src/django-olwidget/
We now require Django 1.3. This probably doesn’t have any impact on you. (ticket #155).
MAP_BASELAYER_TYPE can now be any base layer supported by olwidget, eg. “google.streets”. (Some require other settings for eg. API keys; see ebpub/settings_default.py for comments and examples.)
You can add custom base layers to your maps by creating the dictionary settings.MAP_CUSTOM_BASE_LAYERS. See ebpub/settings_default.py for an example.
This replaces the WMS_URL setting from openblock 1.0a1 which is no longer supported.
New Features in 1.0 beta 1
- ticket #33: Different map icons for different news item types. To use this, you can use the admin UI to configure “map icon url” or “map color” for a Schema.
- ticket #85: Added streets.PlaceType model for categorizing Places. These also can have individual colors or icon URLs on the /maps/ view. (Original ticket title was “‘Landmark’ location type”)
- ticket #142: JSON push API for news items. See docs/main/api.rst
- ticket #187: REST API standard features: API key provisioning; require keys (or auth) for POST / DELETE; throttling
- Import US Zip Codes as Locations, via the admin UI.
- Work-in-progress: user-submitted content. See code in the ebpub/neighbornews app.
- Work-in-progress: Maps you can share just by copy/pasting a URL. For a sneak preview, browse to /maps/.
- Much better admin UI maps. (ticket #140: Bad admin UI for GeometryFields)
- ticket #72: unify NewsItem.attributes and NewsItem.attribute_values
- ticket #52: Proper validation for Street Misspellings in admin
- ticket #157: fill in normalized name automatically
- ticket #123: Configurable base layer should apply to admin UI maps too
This is not a complete list; not all bugs fixed in this release were ticketed.
- Fix #172: schema_detail view blows up (TypeError) if there are no NewsItems in the last 30 days, but there is a matching AggregateLocation. (That shouldn’t happen, but evidently did with some boston demo schemas; also fixed a related possible off-by-one error that may have been a factor.)
- Schema filter page: don’t say ‘You might want to try…’ if there’s nothing to try.
- Fix bug where scrapers that create timezone-aware datetimes blow up
- Fix errors in bounds checking in location importers, thanks to Bret Walker.
- Fix missing import in Place admin
- Fixed several bugs where django-nose (optional) would try to run some things that aren’t tests.
- ticket #110: Fix infinite loop if newsitem.schema.has_newsitem_detail is False but newsitem.url is empty; give 404 instead.
- Importers should now not blow up if run more than once.
- ticket #22: Scraper scripts in everyblock/cities/boston mostly don’t work OOTB
- ticket #79: Geotagging oddity
- ticket #188: items.json doesn’t include location_name
- ticket #200: “obdemo bin scripts are documented, but don’t get installed when installing obdemo non-editable”
- ticket #80: Documentation for Street Misspellings
- ticket #162: Document pip / easy_install workarounds
- ticket #139: Document adding database user / granting database access
- ticket #198: version number in documentation
- ticket #197: documentation for deploying static media
- Fix outdated paths to example scrapers.
- Fix location of get_or_create_lookup
- Note differences from everyblock
- ticket #181: Prepare packages for distribution on pypi.
- ticket #83: Split out non-core packages into a separate download (ebblog, ebwiki, ebgeo, ebinternal, and everyblock are now at https://github.com/openplans/openblock-extras )
- ticket #156: Removing lots of clustering code that’s totally unused.
- remove a redundant get_metro_bbox function from ebpub.utils.geodjango; use get_default_bounds(), does the same thing.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size ebpub-1.0.0.tar.gz (890.6 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|