SSH into EC2 instances via tag name
A pair of command line utilities for finding and SSH-ing into your Amazon EC2 instances by tag (such as ‘Name’).
Forked from Instagram original code by YPlan.
pip install ec2-ssh
# ec2-ssh % ec2-ssh nginx2 # equivalent to # ssh firstname.lastname@example.org % ec2-ssh root@appserver % ec2-ssh deploy@nginx2 sudo restart nginx # Specifying the user with an environment variable % EC2_SSH_USER=deploy ec2-ssh nginx2 # ec2-host # w/o arg: prints all active instances % ec2-host ec2-123-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com ec2-132-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com ec2-231-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com # w/ arg % ec2-host backend ec2-132-45-67-89.compute-1.amazonaws.com ec2-132-45-67-90.compute-1.amazonaws.com # w/ tag arg too % ec2-host -t environment production ec2-132-45-67-90.compute-1.amazonaws.com ec2-111-45-67-90.compute-1.amazonaws.com
- Next version release notes here
- Both ec2-host and ec2-ssh now only show/use instances in the running state.
- Use the Public IP for an instance if EC2 no Public DNS for a public instance. It turns out EC2 may not return the Public DNS even when a Public IP is assigned.
- Use private IP addresses for instances that don’t have public ones. Such instances are not guaranteed to be accessible from the current host, depending on networking setup, but it’s better the tool let’s you try it.
- Rewrite to use setup.py’s entry_points feature, rather than scripts. This makes everything importable from the ec2_ssh module and makes ec2-ssh faster as calling the ec2-host behaviour no longer requires subprocess.
- ec2-ssh supports specifying the username with the -u/--user flag or the EC2_SSH_USER environment variable.
- Acquired the PyPI name ec2-ssh, moved fork back there from ec2-ssh-yplan.
- Fix Python 3 bug with subprocess output type
- Pip failed to receive wheel in version 1.5.0, re-uploading
- Now using boto3
- ec2-ssh rewritten in Python. As part of this, the automatic ‘pretty prompt’ has been removed.
- Forked by YPlan
- Output from ec2-host is now in random order, allowing ec2-ssh to spread logins between similar instances
- Python 3 compatibility
- Fix issue when ec2-host finds one offline instance with same name as an online instance
- Merged pull requests to add region and tag support
- Add line echoing host before establishing SSH connection
- override prompt (PS1) to show tag name
- initial release
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|File Name & Checksum SHA256 Checksum Help||Version||File Type||Upload Date|
|ec2_ssh-1.9.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (6.8 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||2.7||Wheel||Sep 8, 2017|
|ec2-ssh-1.9.0.tar.gz (5.4 kB) Copy SHA256 Checksum SHA256||–||Source||Sep 8, 2017|