Publish Plone content in epub form
A product which allows you to import in Plone epub files.
- EEA Epub product
- Main features
- Epub compatibility
- Getting started
- Live demo
- Source code
- Copyright and license
EEA Epub product allows you to import in Plone epub files. On upload, Epub content will imported as Plone folders, files, images and documents.
Export to Epub is also available.
As of version 4.3 epub files created with Adobe InDesign CS4 and Sigil are tested and known to work with this package, previous versions of this package only supported epubs created with InDesign.
EEA Epub features:
- Imports epub files as Plone content.
- Stores the original epub in the main folder for easy retrieval.
- Exports the Plone content back into an epub.
- Clean filename as you import the epub and they contain characters that wouldn’t be allowed as a Plone id. This behaviour is on by default but it can be disabled by unchecking the boolean flag at portal_properties/site_properties ‘clean_epub_file_names’. If you find that the Document Pages added by the Epub process has broken links try to re-upload without this boolean flag.
EEA Epub makes the following assumptions about the loaded epub:
- You don’t use unicode or other special characters into the name of the epub, images or links
- You’ve created the epub with “Adobe InDesign CS4” or “Sigil” which uses some standards for the following:
- The table of contents is named toc.ncx and is placed inside OEBPS
- Book text & images are placed inside the folder OEBPS or other folders that are children of OEBPS
- Items ids doesn’t contain the following characters . / ( if possible stick to letters, numbers and - _ )
Best practices when creating an epub:
- Chapter names should not be all uppercase or use special characters
- Image names should not contain spaces, periods, / or other special characters
At this moment any errors that would appear on the site are surpressed with a info message.
If you want to see the detailed error check the Plone instance log usually found in buildout-folder/var/log.
The easiest way to get eea.epub support in Plone 4 using this package is to work with installations based on zc.buildout. Other types of installations should also be possible, but might turn out to be somewhat tricky.
To get started you will simply need to add the package to your “eggs” and “zcml” sections, run buildout, restart your Plone instance and install the “eea.epub” package using the quick-installer or via the “Add-on Products” section in “Site Setup”.
You can download a sample buildout at:
From “Add new” menu select “EpubFile” and upload an epub file.
- Plone 4.x
Here some live production demos at EEA (European Environment Agency)
- Latest source code (Plone 4 compatible):
- Plone 2 and 3 compatible:
The Initial Owner of the Original Code is European Environment Agency (EEA). All Rights Reserved.
The EEA Epub (the Original Code) is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
More details under docs/License.txt
- Change: use BeautifulSoup4 instead of deprecated BS 3 [tiberich #14584]
- Upgrade step: Within “Plone > Site setup > Add-ons” click on upgrade button available for eea.epub [ichimdav #9068]
- Feature: register epubs with application/epub+zip mimetype [ichimdav #9068]
- Upgrade step: Within “Plone > Site setup > Add-ons” click on upgrade button available for eea.epub [ichimdav #3621]
- Feature: use filename id when creating plone content, cleaning the filename id when it contains illegal characters if boolean property clean_epub_filename is enabled at portal_properties/site_properties [ichimdav #3621]
- Bug fix: fixed markup of HISTORY.txt file [ciobabog refs #5231]
- Change: Change code in eea.epub to fix translation problem [prospchr refs #5159]
- Feature: import epubs that are not created by Adobe Indesign which have the images and the html pages in separate folder like those created by Sigil [ichimdav #5054]
- no changes
- Bug fix: Added dependencies to setup.py [voineali]
- Bug fix: proper parsing of html entities by using an html parser instead of an xml one [ichimdav #4523]
- Bug fix: cleaned spaces defined as   that can’t be read as xml [ichimdav #4271]
- Cleanup: fixed all pylint, pyflakes violations [voineali #4121]
- Feature: added upgrade steps [voineali @4392]
- Feature: Plone 4.0.4 compatible release [tiberich #4121]
- Bug fix: clean epub import to prevent navigation portlet from miss-behaving [ichimdav #4242]
- Bug fix: fixes #4242 Removed / clean up, the portlet epub and toc, we can use standard plone nav [demarant]
- Feature: force documents/chapters not to be renamed after title change [demarant]
- Bug fix: fixed wrong anchors that spanned over paragraphs [ichimdav #4196]
- Bug fix: added translation domain to ZCML files [voineali #4139]
- Change: cleaned test, added doctypes, fixed pylint violations warnings [ichimdav #4140]
- Change: surpressed error messages with an info status message [ichimdav #3883]
- Bug fix: fix epub file import [ichimdav #3883]
- Feature: add-to-folder menu item [thuliper #3627]
- Bug fix: image link fixes [thuliper #3711]
- Initial release