__future__ import checker, plugin for flake8
A script to check for the imported __future__ modules to make it easier to have a consistent code base.
By default it requires and forbids all imports but it’s possible to have certain imports optional by ignoring both their requiring and forbidding error code. In the future it’s planned to have a “consistency” mode and that the default is having the import optional or required (not sure on that yet).
This module provides a plugin for flake8, the Python code checker.
The checker can be used directly:
$ python -m flake8-import --ignore FI10,FI11,FI12,FI13,FI15,FI5 some_file.py some_file.py:1:1: FI14 __future__ import "unicode_literals" missing
Even though flake8 still uses optparse this script in standalone mode is using argparse.
Plugin for Flake8
When both flake8 2.0 and flake8-future-imports are installed, the plugin is available in flake8:
$ flake8 --version 2.0 (pep8: 1.4.2, flake8-future-imports: 0.4.3, pyflakes: 0.6.1)
By default the plugin will check for all the future imports but with --ignore it’s possible to define which imports from __future__ are optional, required or forbidden. It will emit a warning if necessary imports are missing:
$ flake8 --ignore FI10,FI11,FI12,FI13,FI15,FI5 some_file.py ... some_file.py:1:1: FI14 __future__ import "unicode_literals" missing
This module adds one parameter:
- --require-code: Doesn’t complain on files which only contain comments or strings (and by extension docstrings). Corresponds to require-code = True in the tox.ini.
- --min-version: Define the minimum version supported by the project. Any features already mandatory or not available won’t cause a warning when they are missing. Corresponds to min-version = … in the tox.ini.
The stand alone version also mimics flake8’s ignore parameter.
This plugin is using the following error codes:
|FI10||__future__ import “division” missing|
|FI11||__future__ import “absolute_import” missing|
|FI12||__future__ import “with_statement” missing|
|FI13||__future__ import “print_function” missing|
|FI14||__future__ import “unicode_literals” missing|
|FI15||__future__ import “generator_stop” missing|
|FI16||__future__ import “nested_scopes” missing|
|FI17||__future__ import “generators” missing|
|FI50||__future__ import “division” present|
|FI51||__future__ import “absolute_import” present|
|FI52||__future__ import “with_statement” present|
|FI53||__future__ import “print_function” present|
|FI54||__future__ import “unicode_literals” present|
|FI55||__future__ import “generator_stop” present|
|FI56||__future__ import “nested_scopes” present|
|FI57||__future__ import “generators” present|
|FI90||__future__ import does not exist|
For a sensible usage, for each import either or both error code need to be ignored as it will otherwise always complain either because it’s present or because it is not. The corresponding other error code can be determined by adding or subtracting 40.
- Ignoring the lower one will forbid the import
- Ignoring the higher one will require the import
- Ignoring both will make the import optional
The plugin is always producing errors about missing and present imports and flake8 actually does ignore then the codes accordingly. So the plugin does not know that an import is allowed and forbidden at the same time and thus cannot skip reporting those imports.
0.4.5 - 2018-04-15
- Support pip version 10 in the tests.
- Add LICENSE and test_flake8_future_import.py to the source distribution.
0.4.4 - 2018-01-05
- Add Flake8 framework classifier.
0.4.3 - 2016-07-01
- Restore old option name behaviour that an option like min-version in the tox.ini is recognized.
0.4.2 - 2016-07-01
- Support flake8 version 3’s new config option interface
- Do not increase offset by one in the standalone variant, like flake8 does with version 3
0.4.1 - 2016-05-30
- Do not ignore imports which are present and have been added after the minimum version
- Ignore imports which became mandatory with the minimum version
0.4.0 - 2016-05-30
- Add two older future imports
- Issue an error when a future import does not exist
- Define which is the oldest Python version to be supported so that already mandatory features can be ignored and not yet supported features default to forbidden (ignoring the lower error code).
- Use return code of 1 if errors occurred
0.3.2 - 2015-10-18
- Prevent errors when using unknown future imports
- Test several examples for bad future imports from the Python library
- Fixed the README to use present for the higher codes
0.3.1 - 2015-09-07
- Support setting --require-code in the tox.ini
0.3.0 - 2015-09-07
- Using a different error code namespace (FIXX)
- Add error codes returned when an import is present
- Removed nested_scopes and generators from the available list
- Skip files which only contains comments and strings
0.2.1 - 2015-08-10
- Fixed the module and URL in setup.py
- Fixed the name in the script itself
0.2 - 2015-08-10
- Instead of parameters it’s now using error codes to define which futures are missing. This is removing the ability to forbid a future for now.
0.1 - 2015-08-08
- First release
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|flake8_future_import-0.4.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl (10.2 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3|
|flake8-future-import-0.4.5.tar.gz (10.8 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|