Python client for Google Cloud Messaging (GCM).
Check documentation to learn how to use it.
Check the client with similar interface for Apple Push Notification service.
This package is based on gcm-client, which was created by Sardar Yumatov.
- requests - HTTP request, handles proxies etc.
- omnijson if you use Python 2.5 or older.
Th only alternative library known at the time of writing was python-gcm. This library differs in the
following design decisions:
- Predictable execution time. Do not automatically retry request on failure.
According to Google’s recommendations, each retry has to wait exponential
back-off delay. We use Celery back-end, where the best way to retry after
some delay will be scheduling the task with countdown=delay. Sleeping
while in Celery worker hurts your concurrency.
- Do not forget results if you need to retry. This sounds obvious, but
python-gcm drops important results, such as canonical ID mapping if
request needs to be (partially) retried.
- Clean pythonic API. No need to borrow all Java like exceptions etc.
- Do not hard-code validation, let GCM fail. This decision makes library
a little bit more future proof.
Please report any bugs or requests through Bitbucket
- Own documentation for gcm-clerk
- Attributions for previous work etc.
TODO: Brief introduction on what you do with files - including link to relevant help section.