A simple Python package for creating or reading GDSII layout files.
gdsCAD is a simple, but powerful, Python package for creating, reading, and manipulating GDSII layout files. It’s suitable for scripting and interactive use. It excels particularly in generating designs with multiple incrementally adjusted objects. gdsCAD uses matplotlib to visualize everything from individual geometry primitives to the entire layout.
- Complete documentation can be found at:
- The package can be downloaded for installation via easy_install at
A Simple Example
Here is a simple example that shows the creation of some text with alignment features. It involves the creation of drawing geometry, Cell and a Layout . The result is saved as a GDSII file, and also displayed to the screen:
import os.path from gdsCAD import * # Create some things to draw: amarks = templates.AlignmentMarks(('A', 'C'), (1,2)) text = shapes.Label('Hello\nworld!', 200, (0, 0)) box = shapes.Box((-500, -400), (1500, 400), 10, layer=2) # Create a Cell to hold the objects cell = core.Cell('EXAMPLE') cell.add([text, box]) cell.add(amarks, origin=(-200, 0)) cell.add(amarks, origin=(1200, 0)) # Create two copies of the Cell top = core.Cell('TOP') cell_array = core.CellArray(cell, 1, 2, (0, 850)) top.add(cell_array) # Add the copied cell to a Layout and save layout = core.Layout('LIBRARY') layout.add(top) layout.save('output.gds') layout.show()
- v0.4.0 (07.05.14)
- Several performance improvements: Layout saving, reference selection, and bounding boxes should all be faster
- Layout save now only uniquifies cell names that are not already unique
- v0.3.7 (14.02.14)
- More colors for layer numbers greater than six (Matthias Blaicher)
- v0.3.6 (12.12.13) bugfix
- Fixed installation to include missing resource files
- v0.3.5 (11.12.13 PM) bugfix
- Introduced automatic version numbering
- git_version module is now included in distribution (Thanks Matthias)
- v0.3.2 (11.12.13)
- CellArray spacing can now be non-orthogonal
- Block will now take cell spacing information from the attribute cell.spacing
- v0.3.1 (06.12.13)
- Added support for Hershey Fonts.
- Thanks to Matthias Blaicher.