command line tool to migrate projects from GitHub to GitLab
github2gitlab is a command line tool to mirror projects from GitHub to GitLab. It does the following, in sequence:
- Upload the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub ssh key to gitlab if not found
- Create the gitlab project if it does not exist
- Mirror the github git repository to the gitlab git repository
- Create or update the GitLab merge requests to match the GitHub pull requests
github2gitlab \ --gitlab-url http://workbench.dachary.org \ --gitlab-token sxQJ67SQKihMrGWVf \ --github-repo dachary/test
Mirror http://github.com/ceph/ceph to http://workbench.dachary.org/ceph/ceph-backports and use the GitHub token to be allowed to do more requests than when anonymous. Use –ignore-closed to get rid of pull requests that are closed and were never merged.
github2gitlab \ --gitlab-url http://workbench.dachary.org \ --gitlab-token sxQJ67SQKihMrGWVf \ --gitlab-repo ceph/ceph-backports \ --github-token 64933d355fda9844aadd4e224d \ --github-repo ceph/ceph \ --ignore-closed
The GitHub git repository contains a reference for each pull requests. For instance the pull request 483 has the refs/pull/483/head reference which is the tip of the branch that was pushed. If the pull request is open and can be merged on the destination, the reference refs/pull/483/merge also exists and is the result of the merge.
Instead of mirroring the refs/pull/* references to GitLab, they are moved to refs/heads/pull/* so they become branches. If GitLab CI is watching the project, it will run a job each time the pull/*/head reference is updated.
The pull requests title and description are mirrored exactly. The state of the pull request cannot be mapped exactly and is translated as follows:
if the pull request is opened, the merge request is opened if the pull request is closed, if the pull request merged_at field is null, the merge request is closed else the merge request is merged
If a merge request is opened to mirror a pull request that has been merged already, GitLab will refuse to set it to the merged state because it notices that there would be nothing to merge. In this case the merge request is set to the closed state and the :MERGED: string is append to the description.
Get the code : git clone http://workbench.dachary.org/dachary/github2gitlab.git
Run the unit tests : tox
Run the integration tests. They require a gitlab token and a github token from actual users with permissions to delete and create projects. The github project specified with –github-repo and the github project specified with –gitlab-repo will be removed and all their data and git repository lost during the test.
- PYTHONPATH=. tests/integration.py
–gitlab-url http://workbench.dachary.org –gitlab-token XXXXXXXXX –gitlab-repo dachary/testrepo2 –github-token XXXXXXXXX –github-repo dachary/testrepo –ssh-public-key ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub –verbose
Tag a version
- version=1.3.0 ; perl -pi -e “s/^version.*/version = $version/” setup.cfg ; for i in 1 2 ; do python setup.py sdist ; amend=$(git log -1 –oneline | grep –quiet “version $version” && echo –amend) ; git commit $amend -m “version $version” ChangeLog setup.cfg ; git tag -a -f -m “version $version” $version ; done
- Check the documentation : rst2html < README.rst > /tmp/a.html
- Publish a new version
- python setup.py sdist upload –sign
- git push ; git push –tags
- pypi maintenance
- python setup.py register # if the project does not yet exist
- trim old versions at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/github2gitlab
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size github2gitlab-1.5.5.tar.gz (29.7 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|