Create and synchronize transcoded copies of audio folders
Create and synchronize transcoded copies of audio folders.
- Transcodes FLAC files to MP3 with tags
- Copies everything else as-is
- Additional runs synchronize changes since the initial run
My audio library is a comprised of FLAC’s, MP3’s, cover images, and various metadata files - totaling roughly 500GB. This is not a problem when I’m on my desktop - wired into the same network as my server. However, my laptop and phone use often suffers from poor connectivity and limit storage capacities. Further, lossless audio often is a waste as the my laptop and phone used in less-than-ideal environments and equipment. Thus, I decided to use only MP3’s on those devices.
- Only MP3 - Cannot experiment with formats like Opus without implementing support in mp3fs’s C codebase.
- Only CBR MP3 - LAME’s V0 often is indistinguishable from 320 CBR while reducing the file size by ~15%.
- Uses FUSE - Makes containerization and portability more complicated.
- Not Parallelized - On a system with eight logical cores and competent disk speeds, encoding a one file at a time is a gross inefficiency.
Harmonize transcodes to LAME V0, has no dependency on FUSE, and supports parallel copying and transcoding. While it currently only transcodes to MP3, it’s written in Python. This is far more accessible to modification for a Pythonista like myself.
If installing from PyPI or using the script directly, ensure the following are installed:
- Python 3.6+
$ harmonize -h usage: harmonize [-h] [-n NUM_PROCESSES] source target positional arguments: source Source directory target Target directory optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit -n NUM_PROCESSES Number of processes to use
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size harmonize-0.3.2-py3-none-any.whl (9.7 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size harmonize-0.3.2.tar.gz (5.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for harmonize-0.3.2-py3-none-any.whl