Python drop-in replacement for md5sum and co.
|Copyright:||2016-2021 Antonio Valentino <antonio dot valentino at tiscali dot it>|
usage: hashsum [-h] [-a] [--tag] [-b | -t] [-c | -l] [--quiet] [--status] [--strict] [-w] [-m] [--version] [FILE [FILE ...]] Compute and check message digest with different hash algorithms. The sums are computed as described in . When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating input mode ('*' for binary, space for text), and name for each FILE.  https://docs.python.org/3/library/hashlib.html positional arguments: FILE name of file to process. If not specified, or set to -, data are read form the standard input optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit -a , --algorithm specify the hashing algorithm (default: 'md5') --tag create a BSD-style checksum -b, --binary read input data in binary mode -t, --text read input data in text mode (default) -c, --check read checksum(s) form FILE and check them -l, --list-algorithms list available hashing algorithms -m, --multi-thread perform I/O and hash computation in separate threads (default=False). Can speed-up computation on large files while it is not recommended for small files. --version show program's version number and exit check: Options that are useful only when verifying checksums --quiet don't print OK for each successfully verified file --status don't output anything, status code shows success --strict exit non-zero for improperly formatted checksum lines -w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines
The recommended way to test the package is to use pytest:
$ python3 -m pytest -v ========================== test session starts ========================== platform linux -- Python 3.9.5, pytest-6.0.2, py-1.10.0, pluggy-0.13.0 hashsum version: 1.4.0.dev0 Platform: Linux-5.11.0-24-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.33 Byte-ordering: little Default encoding: utf-8 Default FS encoding: utf-8 Default locale: ('it_IT', 'UTF-8') rootdir: /home/antonio/projects/hashsum, configfile: setup.cfg plugins: hypothesis-5.43.3, remotedata-0.3.2, doctestplus-0.9.0, openfiles-0.5.0, flake8-1.0.6, filter-subpackage-0.1.1, cov-2.10.1 collected 26 items tests/test_hashsum.py::ComputeSumTestCase::test_binary PASSED [ 3%] tests/test_hashsum.py::ComputeSumTestCase::test_binary_auto PASSED [ 7%] [...] tests/test_hashsum.py::ThreadedCheckTestCase::test_text PASSED [100%] ========================== 26 passed in 0.29s ===========================
Please note that some basic system information that can be sued for bug reporting are also printed on the screen.
The default configuration for “pytest” is stored into the setup.cfg file in the root directory of the source package:
[tool:pytest] addopts = -p no:warnings -p no:logging
Alternatively it is possible to use:
$ python3 -m unittest -v tests/test_hashsum.py
The hashsum software is distribute under the terms of the “3-Clause BSD License” see LICENSE.txt file for details.
hashsum v1.4.1 (18/07/2021)
- Fix the wheel generation: generated wheel are not universal, they only work with Python 3.6 and higher
hashsum v1.4.0 (18/07/2021)
- Drop support for Python < 3.6.
- Switch to GitHub Actions for CI.
- Fix verification of checksums in text mode on Windows.
- Re-factorize and simplify the test code.
- Add buildsystem support (pyproject.toml)
- Switch to declarative setup configuration (setup.cfg).
hashsum v1.3.0 (25/08/2019)
- hashsum.VERSION renamed into hashsum.__version__
- added test utility functions
- prefer lowercase names for hash functions
- improve robustness against unknown/unavailable hash functions in threaded checksum computation
- new –failfast option added to the test CLI
- improved benchmark script
- man page updated
- improved compatibility with pytest
hashsum v1.2.2 (15/11/2016)
- Fix compatibility with the windows operating system
hashsum v1.2.1 (24/08/2016)
- Minor packaging fixes
hashsum v1.2.0 (24/08/2016)
- Improved compatibility with the OpenSSL command line tool
- Better iteration on data blocks
- Optional threaded hash computation
- Refactoring: the entire code has been re-organized in tools
- Drop all gettext related files
hashsum v1.1.1 (30/01/2016)
- Include man pages in the tarball
hashsum v1.1 (30/01/2016)
- Fixed IncrementalNewlineDecoder.decoder signature
- Always call decode with final=True when reading in text mode
- Factorized code for checksum computation
- All Exceptions are now trapped in the main function
- Added unit testing
- Code cleanup
- Added NEWS.rst file
- Added man page
- Improved command line help (also fixed some typos)
- Enabled automatic testing with travis-ci
hashsum v1.0 (04/01/2016)
- Initial release
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.