HTTP Request and Response Service
httpbin(1): HTTP Request & Response Service
This is a fork of the original httpbin project, which is located at https://github.com/postmanlabs/httpbin
Why fork? we were unable to get ahold of the folks at postmanlabs to maintain the original project, and httpbin is used for other packages within the python ecosystem, such as pytest-httpbin which is in turn used by packages such as requests so we have forked this package. That means that httpbin.org is not actually backed by this repo, but the httpbin package is. Confusing right? Know anyone at postmanlabs? get in touch.
httpbin is a Kenneth Reitz Project.
Downloading and Running
docker pull ghcr.io/psf/httpbin docker run -p 80:8080 ghcr.io/psf/httpbin
httpbin as a Library
httpbin can be used as a dependency in your own projects by simply adding
httpbin as a dependency.
Manually Building the Latest Docker Image
To build the Docker image yourself, download the latest
requirements.txt files from the release page. Store both file
in the same folder and run:
docker build --build-arg APP_VERSION=<your-version> [other docker args] .
Alternatively, you can re-generate a new
requirements.txt file using
pip-compile. In that case, be aware that the code has not been
tested against those dependencies and we cannot guarantee that such an image
will run without errors.
APP_VERSION will be stored in a docker-label. The default value is an
The project provides two "extras" which contain dependencies that should only
be installed for specific use-cases. They will not be included when using
httpbin as a dependency, unless they are explicitly requested like
mainapp: Includes everything needed to run
httpbinas a standalone app. This is used by the docker image.
test: Includes additional dependencies for unit-testing. This is only used during development.
Publishing a new Release
Releases (both docker and pypi) are automated via GitHub Actions (See #17).
For releases on docker-hub (when enabled in the CI), the following two secrets are required:
Releases are triggered on commits tagged with
release- (for example
- Substantial housekeeping, dependency cleanup, image building, and packaging revamp, thanks to @exhuma and @mgorny
- Override docker image port with HTTPBIN_PORT
- A number of fixes for code rot, thanks @mgorny and @tjni
- 0.9.2: ??? (never published as a package; seems to be internal to postman)
- 0.7.0: ???
- 0.6.2: ???
- 0.6.0: ???
- Allow /redirect-to to work with multiple methods
- Allow MD5 or SHA-256 to be chosen as algorithms for HTTP Digest Auth
- Set a 10MB limit on /drip
- 0.4.1: Added floating-point support for /delay endpoint
- 0.4.0: New /image/svg endpoint, add deploy to heroku button, add 406 response to /image, and don’t always emit the transfer-encoding header for stream endpoint.
- 0.3.0 A number of new features, including a /range endpoint, lots of bugfixes, and a /encoding/utf8 endpoint
- 0.2.0: Added an XML endpoint. Also fixes several bugs with unicode, CORS headers, digest auth, and more.
- 0.1.2: Fix a couple Python3 bugs with the random byte endpoints, fix a bug when uploading files without a Content-Type header set.
- 0.1.1: Added templates as data in setup.py
- 0.1.0: Added python3 support and (re)publish on PyPI
Officially Deployed (but out of date) at:
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for httpbin-0.10.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl