2D action adventure game engine
Make 2D action adventure games. For programmers and nonprogrammers alike.
Create games like *Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages* and *Oracle of Seasons*.
The included demo game (demo/game.py) in action:
The demo game in action.
What makes this project special?
- Each release tested in FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows
- Built and tested in FreeBSD first
- A labor of love, permissively (MIT) licensed, meaning you Hypatia for commercial or non-commercial purposes and not worry about legalese–it’s really free for any purpose without strings attached.
Hypatia stricly enforces the CODE-OF-CONDUCT.md. We strive for a safe, healthy social environment for all women, whether cis or trans.
Trans women have access to mentorships, funding, team chat, and more! For more information please see the Hypatia Software Organization website.
- Hypatia Software Organization: The organization which made this fine product.
- Platform-specific packages
- Hypatia Wiki (great resource for nonprogrammers, too!)
- The official Hypatia website
- Official IRC support chat: #hypatia on Freenode (webui!)
- You can contact the author via email: email@example.com, [@LilyLemmer](https:/twitter.com/LilyLemmer) on Twitter.
To know your way around the project, I strongly recommend reading the CONTRIBUTING.md file. It covers everything you need to know about contributing to Hypatia, as well as navigating the project.
If you have just one version of Python installed, simply use:
Otherwise, if you want to install for a specific version of Python, use something like:
If the bootstrap fails, you can try to install yourself:
- Install Pygame (platform-specific). Installing Pygame is a different process on various systems. See the Installing Pygame section below.
- pip install --user .
Checkout the Demo
$ cd demo $ python game.py
You can skip this section if the bootstrap worked for you.
Installing Pygame on various platforms. I assume you have Python installed and know how to use pip.
FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, PC-BSD, etc.
The easiest thing to do is use Python 2.7. You can simply:
sudo pkg install py27-game
sudo pkg_add pygame
sudo apt-get install python-pygame
Mac OS X
Install pygame through Homebrew. You may want to install Python through Homebrew as well.
# install homebrew ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" # install pygame through homebrew brew install homebrew/python/pygame
For Python 2.x I recommend using Pygame’s official Windows installers.
If you’re using Python 3.x, I recommend using Christoph Gohlke’s unofficial Pygame binaries. Make sure to download the whl specific to your Python version and architecture (win32 vs win_amd64). To install the whl do the following in command prompt (in the directory containing the whl):
pip install wheel pip install pygame-*.whl
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|hypatia_engine-0.3.6-py2-none-any.whl (44.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2||Dec 6, 2015|
|hypatia_engine-0.3.6.tar.gz (35.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Dec 6, 2015|