Image viewer and browser with directory thumbnails
Image viewer for Linux with directory thumbnails and a focus on the browsing experience
This software is under development. It can be used already, despite not being feature complete. The user should expect bugs and misbehaviours here and there. Use at your own risk! Contributions are welcome.
Below is a list of design considerations behind this project:
- Thumbnails are the most important feature while browsing a directory of images. All screen space should be used for thumbnails. Little screen space should be left unused.
- File names are typically uninteresting while browsing a directory of images. There is no need to waste screen space for them.
- Subdirectories should be thumbnailed as well. A directory thumbnail should be composed from the thumbnails of some representative images in it.
- The user should be given an opportunity of choosing the images used to compose the directory thumbnails.
- It may be desirable to show the names of subdirectories.
- Only Linux distros are targetted. No support for Windows or Mac OS is contemplated.
- The image viewer is written in Python and PyGTK is used for the GUI.