No project description provided
Incremental is a small library that versions your Python projects.
API documentation can be found here.
Add this to your setup.py’s setup() call, removing any other versioning arguments:
setup( use_incremental=True, setup_requires=['incremental'], install_requires=['incremental'], # along with any other install dependencies ... }
Then run python -m incremental.update <projectname> --create (you will need click installed from PyPI). It will create a file in your package named _version.py and look like this:
from incremental import Version __version__ = Version("widgetbox", 17, 1, 0) __all__ = ["__version__"]
Then, so users of your project can find your version, in your root package’s __init__.py add:
from ._version import __version__
Subsequent installations of your project will then use Incremental for versioning.
incremental.Version is a class that represents a version of a given project. It is made up of the following elements (which are given during instantiation):
- package (required), the name of the package this Version represents.
- major, minor, micro (all required), the X.Y.Z of your project’s Version.
- release_candidate (optional), set to 0 or higher to mark this Version being of a release candidate (also sometimes called a “prerelease”).
- dev (optional), set to 0 or higher to mark this Version as a development release.
You can extract a PEP-440 compatible version string by using the following methods:
- .local(), which returns a str containing the full version plus any Git or SVN information, if available. An example output would be "17.1.1rc1+r123" or "3.7.0+rb2e812003b5d5fcf08efd1dffed6afa98d44ac8c".
- .public(), which returns a str containing the full version, without any Git or SVN information. This is the version you should provide to users, or publicly use. An example output would be "13.2.0", "17.1.2dev1", or "18.8.0rc2".
Calling repr() with a Version will give a Python-source-code representation of it, and calling str() with a Version will provide a string similar to '[Incremental, version 16.10.1]'.
Incremental includes a tool to automate updating your Incremental-using project’s version called incremental.update. It updates the _version.py file and automatically updates some uses of Incremental versions from an indeterminate version to the current one. It requires click from PyPI.
python -m incremental.update <projectname> will perform updates on that package. The commands that can be given after that will determine what the next version is.
- --newversion=<version>, to set the project version to a fully-specified version (like 1.2.3, or 17.1.0dev1).
- --rc, to set the project version to <year-2000>.<month>.0rc1 if the current version is not a release candidate, or bump the release candidate number by 1 if it is.
- --dev, to set the project development release number to 0 if it is not a development release, or bump the development release number by 1 if it is.
- --patch, to increment the patch number of the release. This will also reset the release candidate number, pass --rc at the same time to increment the patch number and make it a release candidate.
If you give no arguments, it will strip the release candidate number, making it a “full release”.
Incremental supports “indeterminate” versions, as a stand-in for the next “full” version. This can be used when the version which will be displayed to the end-user is unknown (for example “introduced in” or “deprecated in”). Incremental supports the following indeterminate versions:
- Version("<projectname>", "NEXT", 0, 0)
- <projectname> NEXT
When you run python -m incremental.update <projectname> --rc, these will be updated to real versions (assuming the target final version is 17.1.0):
- Version("<projectname>", 17, 1, 0, release_candidate=1)
- <projectname> 17.1.0rc1
Once the final version is made, it will become:
- Version("<projectname>", 17, 1, 0)
- <projectname> 17.1.0
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size incremental-17.5.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (16.7 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size incremental-17.5.0.tar.gz (15.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for incremental-17.5.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl