Package for processing statistics from Instagram profiles
A Python package for processing statistics from Instagram profiles
install instats from command line using:
pip3 install instats
Instats is a Python package for getting and working with statistics from Instagram Profiles. There exists modules for dealing with data about when posts were made, engagement metrics, and visual cohesiveness of a profiles posts. It relies heavily on the instaloader package for logging into Instagram and getting profile and post data.
From instats import instatsprofile and create and InstatsProfile object:
from instats import instatsprofile p = instatsprofile.InstatsProfile(username='some public profile')
Parameters for the InstatsProfile constructor:
- username: username of an Instagram profile (string)
- password: password of an Instagram profile (string), required for private accounts
- ToP_n_most_recent: how many of a profiles most recent posts to use for time of post data (int)
- feedmatch: indicate whether instance will need to process images beforehand (bool)
- FM_n_most_recent: how many most recent images to consider for feedmatch (int)
- pixel_count_per_image: how many pixels to use per image when processing feedmatch data (int)
- Eng_n_most_recent: how many most recent posts to consider for engagement metrics (int)
Once an InstatsProfile is instantiated, all relevant modules and methods can be called and used.
Private accounts need a password to be accessed and are considerably slower to get post data from. Furthermore, getting too many recent posts to process may cause instaloader to throw a too many requests error, so processing several hundreds of posts from a large account is clumsy and slow.
Possible Features to Add in the Future
- Get a profile's most engaged followers by ranking who likes/comments on the most posts in a profile. (this results in a too many requests error for accounts with thousands of likes per post)
- Module for processing data on the locations of posts made.
- Module for processing hashtag statistics and their effectiveness on engagement.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.